Hot Rod Forum banner

late model interior swap

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  MARTINSR 
#1 ·
I've got a 72 malibu 350. The numbers are not matching so i am just planning on rebuilding with a mix of old and new technology. My question is, does any one know what late model chevy would make a good doner car? Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
There is no late model car that would do you any good. Any of the other "A" body cars from that era would have seats you could use, and possibly some interior trim like door panels and kick panels. These cars are Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Pontiac Tempest, Pontiac Le Mans, Buick Special, Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile F-85, and Oldsmobile Cutlass.

Interior parts for your car are readily available from many sources on the internet, you might as well make it as original as possible.

BTW, the term "matching numbers" is somewhat of a fallacy. It would be impossible for a car to have an engine, transmission, or other drive train components that were made specifically for that car and had numbers on it that somehow tied it to the car's VIN number. The engines and transmissions are built in separate plants and sent to the factory to be put into the cars on the assembly line. The only thing that would indicate that the "correct" engine is in the car is if it was the correct size engine and was manufactured before the assembly date. That would be true of the transmission, and the rest of the drive train as well. A car could have all the original drive train in it, and there would really be no way to prove that was true. The only thing you could prove is that the components were built before the assembly date.

Reactions: greenmachine72
#4 ·
I understand, but the original seats in the older cars are some of the most comfortable ever built if re-padded correctly.

The problem with seats from a newer car is in the back seat. The newer car's rear seats just sit on the floor, and are made to fit the floor pan. They are useless in any other car because they have no free standing support. The front seats would be O.K., but that means you need your rear seat upholstered to match the front seats. It's a no win situation.

#5 ·
Dan, there are many cars that have the VIN stamped into the engine block, my Gran Sport is one of them, it has a "numbers matching" engine as it is the original with the same VIN that is stamped on the body being on the engine.

Of course these days it means a little less being there are so many fakes out there, I mean, it sure isn't that big of a deal to deck a block and then stamp the cars VIN that the motor will be put in, voilà matching numbers. :nono:

Brian

#6 ·
Thank you, Brian. I can't believe the foundry put the number on the block when it was cast, it must have been done at the assembly plants when they received the engines.

#7 ·
Yes, I assume. And you know that since about 2000 (I forget when, maybe earlier) cars have the VIN all over them! We are talking fenders, hoods, bumper reinforcements, we are talking most all bolt on body parts! Go out and check a late model car, look at the jamb of the front fenders and such you will see a non transferable sticker with the VIN on it.

Brian

#9 ·
Honestly with where they are putting it, supposedly for anti theft reasons why don't they put it on the seat frame, those get stole too!

Brian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.