Later than Mustang II IFS - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2006, 06:37 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Later than Mustang II IFS

I need a little help from you IFS guys. I ahve a 47 Plymouth tudor needing an update of front end parts. I am considering a variety of choices such as a Mustang II kit from Fatman (expensive but the engineering is done), a Volare/Aspen K-frame that requires major frame surgery, and now I'm considering a later Mustang IFS from an 88-93 car with the strut front suspension. But I have some questions and I hoped someone might be knowlwdgable. I can get the whole front end including frame section, from a number of post II Mustangs from 83-93. However, they are all 4-bolt, small brake cars and therefore questionable for a big sedan with a "small" Desoto hemi. Are there alternatives on these cars to install bigger brakes and heavier struts without going to a whole 5.0 front end assy? 5.0 front stubs that haven't hit something very hard or aren't very expensive, are hard to find. Will the aftermarket rotors with 5-bolt X 4 1/2 pattern rotors fit the later spindles? Are heavier struts a bolt-in or do they require 5.0 a-arms and ball joints? I know the bigger rotors use the same calipers, but require the 5.0 caliper brackets to space it out. But my Ford salvage guy thinks all the other pieces are bigger and heavier too, but he's not positive. What do you think? Thanks for any inputs you might have. Barry

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2006, 10:06 AM
aka Duke of URL

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

For the most part, the 79 to 93 FOX MUSTANG is the same suspension. Lower control arms are basically the same and later rotors can be exchanged to give you larger brakes. The LINC MARK VII (also on FOX platform) will give you five stud larger rotors and larger caliper pistons. Now this is a McPherson Strut assembly and you would have to somehow fabricate upper strut mounts for the conversion.

There was once a kit offered to allow the use of an upper control arm. That would make the conversion easier.

Search FOX MUSTANG and you will get a plethora of information on upgrades.
Old 05-31-2006, 04:33 AM

Foxy plymouth

Thanks for the input. I'll check out that site. I looked at some Mustang stuff but didn't hit the right spot. My buddy is building a 56 Studebaker station wagon and is using an 87 strut front end off a Mustang. It makes a neat installation, but he has the 9-inch brake rotors redrilled for a 5-bolt, 4 1/2-inch pattern. He retained the struts but I'm concerned about structural strength since he only kept the strut towers and tied it into the Stude sheetmetal. If I use the Fox front end, I'd keep the struts but probably retain the surrounding sheet metal and tie it in to the Plymouth inner panels. Appreciate the info. Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 05:18 AM

Last journal entry: 63 split window Corvette RESTOROD
Last photo:

I bought a "kit" from Jim Myers racing for my '60 Corvette, Mustang R&P steering, coil over shocks and disc brakes. The disc brakes are from an F body (Camaro/Firebird). You might call them or look at their site and see what they have that would work for your set up. Good Luck.....

http://www.jimmeyerracing.com/
Old 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM

Thanks Firstgear

Hadn't looked at Jim Myers. Have looked at Morrison, Chassis Entgineering, Fatman and some other magazine ads. Mopar rods other than 33-34 not on anybodies radar. Thew Plymouth chassis is a late model style IFS with an upswept front frame so it isn't a simple MII candidate like the old Fords and Chevys. Also will look at or talk to TCI and some others. Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 07:06 PM
stuff'n things'n whatnot

Last photo:

80-88 thunderbird/cougar front ends are basically the same as well as fairmont/zephyr/ltd II front ends. 4cyl and 8cyl k-members are the same I6 are different. 87-88 turbo tbird/cougars had the 10" or 11" rotors and can be re-drilled for 5 lug. 4cyl and 8cyl struts are dimensionally the same but may have different valving depending on the vehicle theyre off of. You dont 'need' the parts off a 5.0L car but you will definitely want the beefy sway bar off a gt or tc
Old 06-01-2006, 04:52 AM

Later than MII

Thanks tbirdscott. I'll have to check the local Ford yard to see what's available. They have a lot of 4-cyl Stangs but only one GT that is broke on the left front. GTs and TCs are getting costly even as salvage and the yard said their boss won't even bid on them anymore. I thought the Fairmont, etc, might fit. Cougars are fairly rare. Do you what years might fit? Or are the 80-88s the only years? Really appreciate the input. I can use the 4-cyl Stang front frame clip and will replace the other goodies with new/rebuilt stuff, but needed to know if bigger parts would fit and what to search for at the parts stores.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:55 AM

Later than MII

Hey guys! I just thought I'd provide an update to my saga of a 40's Mopar IFS search. From results on this forum and some from the 5.0 Mustang forum I have some useful info I want to share. The post-MII front suspension is a strut type front IFS with front mounted R&P steering. From roughly 83-93 you get the Fox front end which has 4-bolt front brakes with 9-inch rotors. For a fat-fendered rod this is probably inadequate. My car has a 57inch front track. The Fox is about 58-inches, a good fit. TYo get the big ii-inch brakes, you'd need the rotors, calipers, brackets, and spindles, including some hardware, from a 94 or 95 Mustang. All post 93 cars are called SN-95 chassied cars. 94and 95 maintained the same track width, or only a slight increase. 96 and later Mustangs went to about a 63-65-inch track, which is too wide for me but might work on a bigger car. Buy using the 94/95 brakes on the Fox front chassis, you get a strut front IFS with 11-inch, 5-bolt brakes. You'd keep the Fox lower control arms and struts/shocks. The big drawback to this front end is the struts which tie into sheet metal. The Mustangs are unibody cars. These strut tower sheet metal would have to be tied back into the body at the firewall for stability or you'd need to make hoop braces from the firewall to the framerails tied to the strut towers. A Mustang owner in my Mopar club says that these cars need either the hoop or a triangular export bar to tie the strut towers to body or there is excessive flexing of the sheet metal around the satruts during hard maneuvers. I'm still waiting til my other friend gets his Studebaker wagon on the road to see how it works. I may have found a company that makes an MII kit for my 47 that is cheaper than Fatman's. Thanks to everyone who contributed. You guys are the best. Barry
Old 06-09-2006, 03:57 PM

If you end up using the 94-95 mustang front end the brakes could easily be upgraded to the cobra/bullit/mach 1 13in front brakes, which would give you plenty of stopping power.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:09 PM

Later than MII

Segge: I read about the Cobra,etc, stuff. However, the spindles needed add width to the track. Anything over 60-inches is too wide for me and the Bullitt stuff has a 63-inchtrack. Even if used on a Fox chassis, its wider than the 94/95 stuff. The 5.0 Forum has a comprehensive article about the brake upgrade. The 13-inch brakes require 16-inch or bigger wheels and I'm not looking to go with that look on my rod. But thanks for the heads up. If I was going pro-street or weekend warrior,the 13-inch stuff woulkd get a hard look. Barry

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.