latest metalshaping project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last journal entry: '41 Chevy sedan
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

latest metalshaping project

Hi Guys and Gals,

This is my latest finished project. I completed this about 4 weeks ago. It's an aluminum '63 Impala fender, scratch built from 3003 H14 .050 material.

I tried to do a full story here, but the file size was to big. If you're interested in the full story, you can read it here.

http://www.metalmeet.com/forum/viewt...ht=1963+impala

Randy Ferguson
Metalshaping & Kustom Paint
www.metalmeet.com

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2004, 08:23 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,273 Times in 1,114 Posts
Randy, you are the real deal, that is a work of art.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:43 AM

Last photo:

Randy,
I went through the whole post.
It is unbelievable some one can do something like this.

I get so proud when make a patch panel and when leaded in
if it turns out good. I'll go get the wife and make her look at it.
If I could do what you did she would not be able to stand to live with me!

Barry
Old 07-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Love your nails! You must be a Libra

Last photo:

that is frickin' unbelievable!!!

how many hours would something like that take?

JB

p.s. i wish you were my neighbour.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:40 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi Johnny,
I have no idea how many hours I have in this one. Probably 80-100 hours. The next one will take much less time, probably in the 40-50 hour range, now that I have a better idea of how to do it.

Thanks for the compliments, guys!

Randy
Old 07-14-2004, 05:49 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

you should bow down when in the presence of a metal working god!

j/k

but HE is awesome.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:59 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA-HA!!!!!!!!! That's funny!!

AW Shucks Larry, Thanks!!

Randy
Old 07-15-2004, 08:02 PM

How did you learn to do what you do?
Old 07-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

HUNDREDS upon HUNDREDS of hours in the shop doing it, learning the rules of shaping metal and listening to what my fellow metalshapers had to say. It's not that hard once you learn the basics, but getting to that point takes lots of hard work and many hours just doing it and making mistakes. Come on over sometime and I'll give you a crash course!!

Randy
Old 07-15-2004, 09:38 PM

Thats a long haul for me but I might just take you up on your offer sometime.

Make a day of it or something at least for me.

I think that you are about 2.5hours from me.

Eric

But, I would be very interested in learning some new skills or the basics.
Old 07-15-2004, 09:42 PM

Yeah! It sure would be neat to find out how you started! What were your first prodjects, how did they turn out? What tools did you have to start with?!! I could go on all day but you get the point!
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Randy -

The fender is incredible! You have moved up a bit from that red Chevy truck I bought from you years ago and I thought that was pretty nice. Would appreciate that crash course for the door skins on my '35 coupe. Oh, I would not be worthy but would try!

Doug
Old 07-15-2004, 11:24 PM
Ferguson Coachbuilding

Last photo:

Hi Doug,
Thanks. My apologies for not getting you called back. I have been trying desperately to get settled back in after being gone on vacation. I will be around tomorrow evening and all day Saturday. You're welcome to come over and spend all the time you want.

My first project was the red '53 chevy pickup that Doug is referring to. Well, maybe the second, as I tinkered around with my '68 ChevyII first, but I didn't paint it, nor did I do the major body work, but then I was just 14 when I bought it, so I needed a little help. (still own that one, by the way!!) I bought the '53 chevy in '86, at the age of 16 and began building it to tool around in for a while and then sell. I replaced some metal and slathered some filler, spent many hours sanding and eventually painted it. I'm not sure when Doug bought it, but it about had to be in the fall of '88. I then went out and bought a '37 Olds, which still is not finished. My wife and I got married in the spring of '89, right out of high school, opened a body shop and in '91 had our first child. Trying to keep up with a business, a wife and baby, etc. etc., got to be too much and I quit taking on work in the shop, kept all my equipment to work on my own toys and went to work with my father in the plumbing, hvac, & electrical business. There was a point in time there that I was working nights on street rods for other guys, but again, it got to be too much to handle at the time, so I swore I would never touch another car again. I even lost interest in my own toys. Working with my dad was alot of fun, as we're more like best buddies, than a father and son, but I got to missing tinkering with cars....once again. I fought it, but one guy kept begging me to do his Challenger, so I finally gave in and haven't looked back. Nearly 6 years ago, my wife hit a deer and while getting estimates at a local body shop (I was still working with dad at the time and had just gotten my plumbers license) the shop owner asked if I was ready to hang up the pipe wrenches and grab the spray gun, as he was in need of a painter. He offered me too good a deal to pass up, so I took the job and still hold the position today.
A little over four years ago, a friend talked me into getting a computer and after finally giving in, he got me to check out ebay. In a search for auto body tools, I came across an auction with a link to a metalshapers discussion group on egroups, which is now yahoo groups. I immediately joined, as I had been interested in shaping metal for quite some time, but didn't know of where to go to get started. The co-founder of that group, Wray Schelin, has been a great mentor to me since joining that group. Within the first year or so, we decided to get together for a long week-end and see what we could accomplish. Although we didn't finish the little aluminum roadster we had set out to build, we did forge many lasting friendships and we all learned from each other. That first year, we had 35 metalshapers from around the US and two from Holland gather in Huntsville, AL. The following year, 50 members, including the two from Holland were present. 2003 marked our 3rd annual gathering, but this time, we were outgrowing the shop in Huntsville and needed a new location. My shop is approx. 30x100, but 30x50 of it is storage and not usable. I do have 2.5 acres though, and offered my property to host the International MetalMeet. We had an amazing turnout with right at 150 members present. This year we are expecting as many as 250 attendees. This is how I've managed to learn this craft. I've poured every spare second and then some into it. Pure determination is what has driven me. All my peers in my back yard for a week has been a real inspiration. Mainly though, just getting out in the shop and pounding on metal is how you learn.
I'm currently working on a '39 Ford four door sedan for a customer sho wanted a metal man to do the work. Although the bill is a little higher than what it would have been to use body filler, he can say with all confidence that it is an ALL METAL car. It's a great feeling to get to the point where you can work metal as though it were clay. It's not an easy task. It has taken four years for me to get to this point. Lots of sacrifices have been made. My wife and kids have had to put up with a lot and have been very supportive, as I spend almost every night and week-ends out in the shop. I'm getting very bored with the collision repair painting and hope to soon turn this into my new career. I still love to paint, but the everyday rush rush rush of the collision industry is getting really old.
Here is a picture of my first real paying metalshaping job. This was less than one year ago.

The chrome platers kind of screwed up and tried to repair it by brazing it, but that didn't work too well!!

Just for fun, here is a '50 Caddy I painted 3 years ago

Sorry for the long winded post, but y'all aked for it!
Old 07-16-2004, 07:18 AM
Just havin' fun.....

Last journal entry: Wheels and tires
Last photo:

Thanks Randy, I'll probably swing by tonight. For years after I'd bought that truck and came back home to visit I wondered what you were doing. Gotta say it looks like you are doing what you should be doing! Look out Ron Covell.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.