I haven't been around much lately due to some family heath issues. Things have eased up a bit so I've been able to start puttering with my latest project. This past spring I traded two handmade knifes (I make knives as a part time gig) for an all original 76 AMC Gremlin.
It had been idle for quite some time so I spent several hours yesterday cleaning the plugs, points and much of the engine compartment. I changed the oil, transmission fluid and coolant. I changed out the starter solenoid and the positive battery cable as they were both a fire waiting to happen. I pulled the hose off of the fuel pump, drained the ancient gas and ran a hose to a can with some fresh fuel. After a few crankings she fired up but died quickly. I noticed the distributor moved so I turned it back to the original position and tightened the hold down. She fired right up but idles a bit rough. The transmission moved the car forward and backwards.
The car is far from road worthy at this point but everything is there and no rust through anywhere. There is some light surface rust from the badly oxidized paint and a minor crease in the drivers door. At this point I need to go through the entire brake system before I can attempt to move her any distance.
She ought to make a nice companion to my 74 Javelin.