Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lathe Identification and general info?
View Single Post
Old 04-28-2009, 08:32 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I just looked at what seems to be the oldest Clausing model. They say it has roller bearings on the spindle. Mine has Babbitt bearings. Do you know if they had different options or if I need to keep looking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Looks like a pre-war Clausing and it is probably a very usable machine if it is not too sloppy. What tooling you will need is a good question but the list is endless and I would suggest not spending much on anything that will not be usable on a newer machine. I would suggest buying only what you really need at first and, in all due respect to Mikes suggestion, a quick change tool post would be nice but not really necessary IMO and the $200 or so it would cost would buy a lot of bits and other parts. A good live center for the tail stock and a drill chuck are almost "have to haves" and of course you will need a dial indicator with stand, mics, calipers, etc.

Be warned, you are about to become addicted to a habit that will be impossible to break!