Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lathe Identification and general info?
View Single Post
Old 05-02-2009, 02:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshF
What is a Bull Gear and countershaft plate? Do you know if anyone makes parts for these?

It is starting to sound like I would be better off without this thing, which is disappointing, but I am sure another one will come along at some point.

Thank you for all of the helpful information.

- Josh
A bull gear is a large gear that is located behind the chuck spindle bearing, you can see this gear in the photo I posted of another similar lathe. The bull gear when engaged allows you to turn low rpms for turning large work.

The countershaft plate and motor mount has the second set of gearing so you can just shift the belt from pulley to pulley to get different speeds, typically this is done by releasing the pressure on the belt by pulling a lever and then moving the belt on the countershaft to another pulley. Have a look at this forum page for pictures of other lathes, all lathes do the same thing so will see how other manufacturers build their machines.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=153748

I don't want to discurage you but what you have there is someones attempt to turn the lathe into a wood lathe, hence why the bull gear and countershaft plate is gone...seen it before. The amount of money spent trying to find parts (the shipping is what kills ya, its heavy!) and restoring the unit is not worth it.

However if all you intend to do is turn at one speed and one feed, then what you have will work...especially if you don't have the feed gearing stack. Having worked with the exact unit you have there I can tell you trying to accomplish work with such an old style lathe is an exercise in frustration, you will forever be working around its shortcomings.

I suggest you take a course at your local college and work with their modern machinery and get some experience, learning how not to lose fingers will be one of the more valuable lessons you will learn. They will have an old unit some where you can try out and you will see how much hassle it is to work with.

If you need to polish a shaft or just turn a diameter what you have will work just fine, many shops I worked in had an old lathe in the corner (just like what you have) for polishing since the abrasive is hard on the lathe ways of the good equipment.

Just be realistic about what to expect from what you have there, it needs a lot of work, it is missing most of the parts that make a lathe useful, the spindle won't have a large through hole so what you can chuck is limited, and you have no tooling to start with.

Take a course, once you do I think you will see what you have is largely a heavy chunk of iron.