Hot Rod Forum banner

Launching a 4X4.

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Rubberman2003 
#1 ·
Im curious, when i take my truck to the track (2001 Ford Ranger, 4.0SOHC, 4x4, ext cab, stepside...pics in gallery.)

Should i launch in 2wd or 4x4. Ive did like 2 4x4 launches and the THROWS you in your seat. With 2wd i have to baby it off the line or i get massive wheelspin. (4:10, posi) What would you all suggest? Someone told me that if i do launch in 4x4 that i should turn it back into 2wd at about 35mph.

#6 · (Edited)
Rubberman2003 said:
Sorry, but when people talk about "launching" a 4WD drag racing is NOT the first thing most people think of, I couldn't resist. Shame on me. :spank: I'll be good........

But as stupid as it was it was quite a memorable sight !

OK, seriously, I was watching 4WD drag races at the 4WD and Off Road magazine Nationals on TV a few years ago and most of those guys were launching in 2WD and more than a few of them had removed the front driveshaft altogether.

What blew me away was the SBC powered Toyota extended cab, with wrinkle walls on the back and 12.50 M/T Bajas on the front carrying the front tires through 1st and halfway through 2nd running 12's ! :drool: He had also removed the front driveshaft.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.