Hot Rod Forum banner

Layers of different clears

857 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  BarryK 
#1 ·
I did not want this to become confused with the mixing clear thread, so I began this one. Once I have cleared the vehcile I am about to paint, I intend on sanding it down flat and applying 3 more coats of clear. Is there a compatability problem using a different clear to apply the other three coats? I usually go through 1 gallon on a three coat job, and in this case I am going to do that twice. This job is for a friend of mine, and he drives a large GMC Denali SUV. I am trying to help him out on this job and that was why I was going to mix the clears before to save him money. I am thinking of buying a gallon of local clear by a jobber who has thier own brand. I dont know who makes it for them, and then spraying the real good spi over it once it is sanded down flat again.
Do any of you see a potential problem with this? I was under the impression the iso content of each clear would not matter since they are not mixed together. Is this incorrect?

PimpJuice

#2 ·
If each different clear is allowed to dry, you can than put any clear over it after sanding.

So lets say you shoot two coats of DuPont, let dry over night and sand you can now shoot PPG over the Dupont with out concern.

Let the PPG dry overnight and sand and paint the next day with BASF.
Not an issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.