Hot Rod Forum banner

Lazy engine

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RHamm1320 
#1 ·
Hi. I haven't drag raced in about 6 years and I think I forgot most every thing. Last time I raced was in 1999 with 64 GTO with a 432 ci BB chevy.The car ran 9.60s @135 mph This year I put together a 468 ci BB with all the same goodies that was on the 432.(same cam.grind ,heads tunnel ram etc.)This past weekend I went To Virginia Motor Sports Park and the best I could muster up was 10.36 @127 mph.Sixty footers are in the toilet and the car leaves lazy.I was strapped for time trying to get my license runs in so I couldn't do much except change jets.(didn't help) After getting home and going over some old records I found the timing on the 432 was 40 degrees (crank trigger) The timing on the 468 is 36 degrees (crank trigger) I find it hard to believe,but would 4 degrees effect the engine that much? Engine has Crane roller cam w/278- 284 degrees @ .050 Any help for this old guy would be appreciated. Thanx Rich T+
P.S. Tonite I'm going in the garage to start from scratch and check and check and check Thanx again R +

#4 ·
The car and complete setup is the same as it was when I stopped racing. The only thing that was changed was the size of the engine. Same converter,rear ratio,4-link bars. Went over whole car and replaced wheel cylinders,brakes,and anything that was old and cruddy. Seems like the 432 was just a better engine. But the 468 should have more power than it does. Rich T+

#5 ·
Timing... There is a fine line between going too far and what the engine is looking for.

Once on the dyno, we had a big block that didn't 'wake up' until 41 degrees. Keep in mind, we watched the plugs for detonation very very very close - be careful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.