Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - lcd panel for gauge display
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 12:03 AM
I put up the tools against$300

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lcd panel for gauge display

I've had an idea for quite a while, and though Hot Rod guys may not be fans of my idea, I figured I'd post to see if anyone could provide me with info on what would be involved in making this work.

I guess my biggest question in all of this is how to take a mechanical movement and convert it to a signal that could be displayed on a LCD monitor. My first idea was to take an electrical motor and reverse its function. Basically, a speedometer cable somehow connected to the armature of a small electric motor would create a votage that steadily increased with RPM. Kinda like the way a voltmeter works. What would be the easiest way to do this?

The second and more complicated task would be finding a computer application that could measure the various voltages from different sending units and things that are usually read out on a mechanical gauge and displaying their values on a screen mounted in a location normally reserved for a gauge cluster.

To sum it up, I guess what I would like to do is take the digital dash (c4, impala ss) one step futher and create a computer application for an infinitely variable display. Maybe implementing a touch screen to control things like a/c, radio, mirrors, and even things like air/fuel ratio and spark timing.

Am I in la la land or is this doable?