Hot Rod Forum banner

Lead

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  jrm123180 
#1 · (Edited)
How too's of lead

I want to learn how to use lead as a body filler. I realize that it can be dangerous, and many feel as thought it's a lost art that doesn't need to be found. However, I am interested in learning how to do this. Does anyone know of any websites that can show me this? I am quite interested in this.

Thanks,
Steve

#2 ·
Have some patience

There are some old body guys around here that have used a lot of that stuff and still know how..Hopefully they will get around to responding..

In the meanwhile I would suggest that you use the search function and see what has been posted on this in the past..

I do know that the metal needs to be absolutely clean and then flux is applied then the hot lead is applied....

There is also a metal benders site at www.metalmeet.com that has a lot of info on metal work so you may wish to go over there and check that site out..

Good luck

:welcome:

OMT

#3 ·
The Eastwood Company has a video on body filling that includes lead. I used it when I leaded the work on my '50 Plymouth back in the early 80's. Some areas have failed now and I have seen many factory leaded seams that have failed. As stated it must be super clean to start and be cleaned very well afterwards. Beeswax is used to smooth the lead with a wooden paddle and it is difficult to get all the contaminants removed. It is a lot of fun, but as with anything takes a lot of practice. I did the whole car and still don't think I am very proficient... As you said- be careful with safety- the older fellas I talked to when I was learning warned of 'Mad Hatter's Disease'- I guess the old hats made in the time of tophats and such were blocked using lead and the workers went crazy as it affects the nervous system... (maybe that's why I'm so....... nevermind!!) Anyway- good luck- be safe- check old local bodymen, look up famous customizers like Bill Hines and maybe Darryl Starbird? ( I know Bill is the Master of Leading!!!)... :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.