Lead - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 07:48 AM
A Learning Hobbist

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

How too's of lead

I want to learn how to use lead as a body filler. I realize that it can be dangerous, and many feel as thought it's a lost art that doesn't need to be found. However, I am interested in learning how to do this. Does anyone know of any websites that can show me this? I am quite interested in this.

Thanks,
Steve

Advertisement

Last edited by jrm123180; 12-03-2004 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Have some patience

There are some old body guys around here that have used a lot of that stuff and still know how..Hopefully they will get around to responding..

In the meanwhile I would suggest that you use the search function and see what has been posted on this in the past..

I do know that the metal needs to be absolutely clean and then flux is applied then the hot lead is applied....

There is also a metal benders site at www.metalmeet.com that has a lot of info on metal work so you may wish to go over there and check that site out..

Good luck

OMT
Old 12-03-2004, 11:58 AM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

The Eastwood Company has a video on body filling that includes lead. I used it when I leaded the work on my '50 Plymouth back in the early 80's. Some areas have failed now and I have seen many factory leaded seams that have failed. As stated it must be super clean to start and be cleaned very well afterwards. Beeswax is used to smooth the lead with a wooden paddle and it is difficult to get all the contaminants removed. It is a lot of fun, but as with anything takes a lot of practice. I did the whole car and still don't think I am very proficient... As you said- be careful with safety- the older fellas I talked to when I was learning warned of 'Mad Hatter's Disease'- I guess the old hats made in the time of tophats and such were blocked using lead and the workers went crazy as it affects the nervous system... (maybe that's why I'm so....... nevermind!!) Anyway- good luck- be safe- check old local bodymen, look up famous customizers like Bill Hines and maybe Darryl Starbird? ( I know Bill is the Master of Leading!!!)...
Old 12-03-2004, 01:53 PM
A Learning Hobbist

Last photo:

Thanks for taking the time to respond and for the advice.

-Steve

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.