Hot Rod Forum banner

Leaf spring clips

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  49dream 
#1 ·
I'm taking apart my leaf springs to clean them up and to remove a few leafs.
I had to grind off the rivets that hold the clips together. What can i use in place of the rivets when i put the leafs back together. I was thinking of a carriage bolt and grinding the head flat. Any help would be appreciated.

Marcus

#6 ·
49dream said:
Went to TSC and they did not have them. Check local fab shop with no luck.
I'll think of something sooner or later

Marcus
Lots of the old farm machinery, antique stuff, 20s, 30s, 40s, used those rivets. Check around that type of source if a local spring place can't help you. I bet some of the antique tractor guys know exactly what you need.

#7 ·
poncho62 said:
I take 2 pieces of steel strap with a bolt at each end and bolt them around the spring.....Stiffens them up nicely.
Poncho,

How thick of a material is required so that it holds up? Are you talking about that stuff you hang pipe with (full of pre drilled holes) or something of a heavier gauge? Also, if you do not run the thru rivit, can the band tend to wander right off the end of the leaf?

#8 ·
Heavier gauge.....at least 1/4" thick and at least an inch wide and longer than the spring is wide, plus bolt width......Drill holes in each end and bolt together. It wont slide as easy as they usually do, thus stiffening the spring a bit. Some others may not agree that this is OK, but I have never had a problem.

#9 ·
Making rivets from bolts

Make a rivet from a bolt by annealing (softening) it with a gas torch. Once you have it softened, it is easy to shape on a lathe or spin in a drill press to the dimension you need. Anneal the part by heating to bright cherry red, about the color you would use if tempering the steel. Be careful not to overheat and burn out the carbon. Once the entire part is to an even color, drop it in a can 1/2 filled with DRY sand, then cover with more dry sand and allow to cool slowly. If starting with a bolt much longer than the finished rivet, just heat the part that will be in the finished rivet.
Mike in Michigan

#10 ·
Mike in Michigan said:
Make a rivet from a bolt by annealing (softening) it with a gas torch. Once you have it softened, it is easy to shape on a lathe or spin in a drill press to the dimension you need. Anneal the part by heating to bright cherry red, about the color you would use if tempering the steel. Be careful not to overheat and burn out the carbon. Once the entire part is to an even color, drop it in a can 1/2 filled with DRY sand, then cover with more dry sand and allow to cool slowly. If starting with a bolt much longer than the finished rivet, just heat the part that will be in the finished rivet.
Mike in Michigan
nice read great information on medal working. thanks for this

#11 ·
poncho62 said:
....Drill holes in each end and bolt together.
I should have read your original post more carefully. I was visioning one piece of steel bent around the leaves and then one bolt at the bottom to tighten things up. The two pieces (one top and one bottom) with two bolts makes absolute sense...now that I read it correctly. (Just a passing bout of Old Guy Syndrome me thinks.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.