Leaf spring mounting question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM

Last journal entry: T'Bird projectr
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Leaf spring mounting question

Here's a question for somebody who knows more about suspension geometry than I do! I pulled the body off my "Fordillac" and pulled the engine today, and something struck me about the way I have the front springs mounted. They're parallel leaves, '35 Dodge or Plymouth. I have the rear spring hangers mounted in such a way that with no load on the springs, like right now with no weight on the chassis, that the shackles are hanging straight down from the hangers.

It occured to me that this isn't correct, that I should move the hangers to the rear so that with no load, the shackles would be at an angle towards the front of the spring, and as they are loaded, the spring will straighten, pushing the shackle back and down, so that fully loaded they would be directly under the hanger. Am I correct in this?

I looked at my '51 Pontiac wagon rear springs, the shackles are straight down under the hangers, 90 degrees to the spring. I recall when I built it, the hangers were almost paralell to the spring eye, pointing towards the front. My '00 Silverado hangers are also at 90 degrees to the spring, although the spring is above the hanger. It's easy to do this now, as I have the hangers just spot welded to the frame. This would also raise the frame a bit relative to the axle, which needs to happen as well. Any advice?

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 08:24 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

In general you are correct. However look at how the shackles are positioned with the full car weight. That is more important. As long as they support the weight and appear capable of deflecting with a big pot hole slam and not 'bottom out' or let the spring lock up by deflecting full back and strike the frame, then they are fine. Depends on how strong the springs are vs. their length. For example, my '53 Chevy pickup rear springs had vertical shackles at lo load but barely deflected back w/ load. There were so many leaves in the springs that they barely deflected! Of course those trucks were designed for carrying a ton or so of farm stuff over clod fields.
Old 01-22-2008, 10:30 AM
learning to weld

Last journal entry: unbuilding part 2
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

this might be helpful for deciding how much your springs will deflect, in turn helping you decide how much travel the shackel needs.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.