Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Suspension - Brakes - Steering (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/suspension-brakes-steering/)
-   -   leaf spring shackles on a front straight axle (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/leaf-spring-shackles-front-straight-axle-191789.html)

h0trod389 01-31-2011 10:11 PM

leaf spring shackles on a front straight axle

ok people im tryin to figgure out how to install dual leaf springs to the frame on a straight axle front end.

do the shackles go infront of the leaf spring or behind?
and why do they go that way?

ive looked at cars at shows and in my yard,
most of the gassers ive seen have the shackles in the front of the leaf.
i have a 56 chevy truck and the shackles are in the front of the leaf spring as well.
i look at solid axle 4x4's and the shackle is in the rear of the leaf spring.

can anyone elaborate?

ericnova72 02-01-2011 12:37 AM

I don't know if there is a difference, I have seen gassers done both ways, but I see nearly all have the shackle up front. The one I'm planning will be shackle up front.

Both the Speedway Motors straight axle kit and the Motion Performance kit both have the shackle up front. So does the Bill Thomas re-creation of their 60's "instant funny car kit" offering, the shackle is up front.

MARTINSR 02-01-2011 07:59 AM

The big difference would be where the steering box is located.

If you have cross link steering, or a rack, it wouldn't make a single bit of difference where the shackles are. But if you were to mount the shackles at the rear and have a rear mounted steering box with a drag link coming forward to your axle you would have some serious bump steer. The shackle rocking back and forth is bringing the axle back and forth with it. So if you had a drag link between the box mounted on the frame and the axle mounted on the spring that is rocking back and forth your wheels would steer without you turning the steering wheel!

Brian

h0trod389 02-01-2011 09:31 AM

that almost sounds fun!

thanks for the info guys!

yes i will be mounting the steering box behind the axle, with a drag link to the steering arm on the spindle, so my shackles must be foward of the leafspring.

this brings up another question, when a full load is placed on the done front end, in other instances the shackle should be at a 45 degree angle. is this true in this case? and im assuming that its 45 degrees to the rear of the car?

thanks again guys.

MARTINSR 02-01-2011 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by h0trod389
that almost sounds fun!

thanks for the info guys!

yes i will be mounting the steering box behind the axle, with a drag link to the steering arm on the spindle, so my shackles must be foward of the leafspring.

this brings up another question, when a full load is placed on the done front end, in other instances the shackle should be at a 45 degree angle. is this true in this case? and im assuming that its 45 degrees to the rear of the car?

thanks again guys.

Look at stock cars, the spring shackle is "usually" (not always) straight up and down with it going AWAY from the center of the spring when under load. IIn other words the spring when flattened out gets longer so the eye will move forward leaning the shackle back.

Brian

garyroushkolb 09-13-2011 06:14 AM

Good suggestions

This is a great thread and alot of help to putting in a "gasser" axle. Thanks