leaf springs - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

leaf springs

I have a 49 chevy ton PU. I put a TCI with drop spindles on the front 2 years ago.
My present rear end had the springs under the axle with 1 blocks.
With the new front I had too much rake. I took my springs off and found out the eye holes,the shackles were worn out as well as springs being gouged.
I rework the springs and shackles and took some leafs out for a smoother ride.I ended up putting 3 blocks to get the rake that I wanted. Could of used more but that's all it can handle. Any how the springs are not rebounding to its full height. I tried more spring and different combinations and it just does not come back up all the way. I called St Louis Spring Co. and they can get me new springs for $128.00 a side. He told me he could
De-arch them from the original 7 arch and this might lower the truck more. Finally to my question: Has anyone had springs de-arched and is 3 blocks any kind of a safety factor. I know there is other alternatives to lowering the truck but my budget is only around $300 to $ 400 for this

Mark

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49dream
I have a 49 chevy ton PU. I put a TCI with drop spindles on the front 2 years ago.
My present rear end had the springs under the axle with 1 blocks.
With the new front I had too much rake. I took my springs off and found out the eye holes,the shackles were worn out as well as springs being gouged.
I rework the springs and shackles and took some leafs out for a smoother ride.I ended up putting 3 blocks to get the rake that I wanted. Could of used more but that's all it can handle.

Any how the springs are not rebounding to its full height. I tried more spring and different combinations and it just does not come back up all the way.

I called St Louis Spring Co. and they can get me new springs for $128.00 a side. He told me he could
De-arch them from the original 7 arch and this might lower the truck more. Finally to my question: Has anyone had springs de-arched and is 3 blocks any kind of a safety factor. I know there is other alternatives to lowering the truck but my budget is only around $300 to $ 400 for this

Mark
You obviously have the springs under the axle and it is still too high.
Lowering it the amount you desire will limit your suspension travel, putting the axle right up next to the frame.
You will probably have to notch the frame to get axle travel clearance, and have custom springs made to get the desired ride height without lowering blocks.
Don't forget you can always have the springs made with reverse eyes, and maybe you can use slightly shorter shackles.

Either way I doubt that you can hire the work done with the budget limit you have.

IMO I don't want any lowering blocks at all.
Right now I want my car lowered another 1 to 1 1/2 inches at the wheel well, but I am going to do it with leaf spring de-arch rather than the simple lowering block. There's a big difference in time and money, but I just don't want blocks under my car. I'm talking $60 for blocks and U bolts, compared to a long day of my own labor to do the de-arch.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:41 PM

Thanks for the reply. The guy from St Louis will make new springs any arch that I want for $ 320 this includes shipping. The only problem I have is that I am not for sure how much arc to take away. Original are 7 " of arch.
On the other hand I found out that Brothers truck parts offer Leaf Springs
with 2,3,4,5 inch drops from the original springs for $ 420 this includes shipping (there on sale this month) If i go this way and they don't work out I can return them. The ones for St Louis I can not return.
I ordered new shackles today and going to install them to see if that makes any difference's. I made my own and I think they might be binding some what.
If the shackles don't make a difference then I am going to put the springs back to stock without any blocks. I then can determine how much drop i need. I would like to go to 4 link but the coil shocks themselves are about as much as the leaf springs.

Mark

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.