Hot Rod Forum banner

Leaf springs or parallel four link--Advice Appreciated

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  slow4dr 
#1 ·
I am deciding which way to go on my 50 chevy pickup. I have been told that the four link system using a coil over spring will not give me a better ride than a dearched leaf set up. I am considering either a TCI or Heidts 4 link and a Chassis Engineering 4 inch drop leaf system. I would appreciate any advice others may have on these choices. I have heard that in order to get a quality ride with the 4 link you will have to go through various coil spring choices--soft you will bottom out, hard leads to a stiff ride because both TCI and Heidts have only a 3 inch stroke on the shock absorber. True?

#3 ·
Key point in getting a good ride is sufficient suspension travel to absorb the road shocks..then suspension tuning of spring rate and shock valving to get the ride one desires..good ride mitigates against extremely low ride height..

Sam

#4 ·
TCI coilovers are 10.25" collapsed and 14.5" extended making 4.25" of shock travel. Keep in mind that wheel travel is probably closer to 5" because the shocks are laid over 20 degrees.

The standard spring weight is 300# and they seem to work very well in most situations for most people.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.