Leak from diff. to axle tube? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2005, 11:27 AM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

Leak from diff. to axle tube?

Is there a fast, cheap or easy way to fix a small leak from the axle tube to the differential in a GM 10 bolt? I got to looking at my '78 Monte Carlo axle and found a small leak from the tube. So far it has just "puddled onto the axle tube, not onto my floor. The car is in storage now and has not been driven in over 5 years. I'm not real sure if it is from a seal, because I've never tore an axle apart. I just do know that I will not let it keep leaking out and eventually get bad enough to drip in my driveway. So, what's the solution? Weld it?

Thanks in advance, Chet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2005, 11:37 AM
ex biker, now hotrodder

Wiki Edits: 0

clean the area, put some j b weld on it
Old 11-20-2005, 11:42 AM

Last photo:

That sounds almost too easy. Have you got any idea why it would leak in the first place? And, where do you find that magical number for the i.d. as to what it really is. I spent $50 for this axle about 3 months before I quit driving the car. I was told that it came from a Camaro, but I'm not real sure about that.

Thanks again, Chet.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:02 PM

Chet, I'm kind of confused; did you just install this rearend before you parked it or did you install it long before? Axle tubes don't normally leak from the center section unless it has been hit . I would check this rearend out carefully before I spent a lot of time and money on it.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:44 PM
Save a horse, Ride a Cowboy.

Last photo:

I've got an 80 and it leaked too. I have seen several that have leaked between the axle tube and the center housing. The toe in and camber of the rear end on my 80 beater is horrible, wearing the rear tires, but still running after 240,000 miles.

Ideally you would weld both tubes and straighten the housing.

There's no pressure inside there. Just clean it off with a wire brush and brake cleaner, air dry it with an air hose and do a nice job of spreading black rtv over it, forcing it into the groove well and wiping off the excess. If there is enough rtv in the groove to see it, that is all it takes. It works.

Last edited by xntrik; 11-22-2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:26 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff L88
Chet, I'm kind of confused; did you just install this rearend before you parked it or did you install it long before? Axle tubes don't normally leak from the center section unless it has been hit . I would check this rearend out carefully before I spent a lot of time and money on it.

I put it in about 3 months prior to quiting driving the car. It's funny to me that you mention it being hit, though. The old one didn't leak after a ditching well over the posted speed limit. You got me thinking that the frame is twisted up worse than I thought. That's not a big deal, I have another frame waiting, and a different axle as well. I found one that has the factory ratio in a local yard--rust covered, but non leaky. The only reason I swapped the factory one was the car had a low growl whenever I made a slow left hand turn. I figured it was the axle. Turned out the trans blew out--after swapping the axle out 2 days prior. I never did learn about why it blew.

Anyway, I'll be cracking soon on this "new"axle, and will be prepping this one to make sure it doesn't leak. Thanks for the input.

In a while, Chet.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:06 AM

Last photo:

Those tubes are only pressed in, and will sometimes leak a bit without any previous damage. They can also slip around in the housing and make the car feel a little squirrelly on a hard shift. Best bet is to get the tubes welded to the housing.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.