Hot Rod Forum banner

Leak down test

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Infinite Monkeys 
#1 ·
Hi,
I would like to use a hose from a compression tester to do a leak down test on one of the cylinders. I am wondering how much maximum pressure to use.
I don't have access to a good leak down tester, so I won't have any gauges. I am trying to figure out where the problem is.
Thanks

#5 ·
I did this checking a few engines a few years ago.
The compression tester hose may have a check valve in the part that screws into the spark plug hole, mine did. Remove the check valve, but put it in s safe place, so you can use your compression tester again.
KD tools sells the two common sizes of tapered seat adapters, that will screw into the spark plug hole. The other end of the fitting is just a standard 3/8 NPT female. there is n check valve in it, just a straight through fitting.

#6 ·
We have numinous tests you can run.Wet and dry compression tests,leakdown tests,the list can go on and on.That isn't a negative comment,but at the end of the day,it has to come apart and nothing replaces a close visual inspection.Just some advise on how much time you want to spend before you have to face the bottom line.

#7 ·
DanielC:

I was going to just remove the check valve and hook the quick connect to my compressor. My understanding was that this should work. I can regulate the PSI going into it and I have a 6 hp, 30 gal compressor this should give me enough air to run the test. Am I correct in thinking this?

1Gary:

I agree with you, the end result will be a rebuild, I'm trying to figure out if it will be an engine rebuild, or just one head, or both. One last compression test and one leak down. One days work. No more wasting time on hoping to get lucky.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.