Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Transmission - Rearend (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/transmission-rearend/)
-   -   Leak at front of Muncie transmission (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/leak-front-muncie-transmission-97182.html)

HotRodMan 09-02-2006 05:23 PM

Leak at front of Muncie transmission

I have the engine out of the car, the Muncie 4 speed transmission is still in the car. It leaks fluid up front.

Is this just a matter of replacing the gasket behind the bearing retainer, apply a little sealant, and torque the bolts, or is it more complicated than that?

None of the parts stores have this gasket. Does anyone know where I can get one?

BOBCRMAN@aol.com 09-02-2006 07:45 PM

Check the front of the trans, around the countershaft hole. That is where most Muncies tend to leak. As there is no gasket or sealer around the front of the case.

If your leak is actually from the front bearing retainer. You can make a gasket from simple cardboard material ( I use Rice Crispy boxes!). A little silicone sealer and you have no more leak.

If the trans is leaking because it is just hanging in the car. Just raise it to level.. There is no actual front seal on the input shaft, only a slinger. Overfill will also cause leaks. I used to make up a paper gasket to cover the entire front of the trans and glue it between the trans/belhousing. This will stop pesky countershaft leaks also.

Bryan59EC 09-02-2006 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
I used to make up a paper gasket to cover the entire front of the trans and glue it between the trans/belhousing. This will stop pesky countershaft leaks also.

Sneaky little trick
:D

Bryan

HotRodMan 09-03-2006 03:42 PM

It is very difficult to tell exactly where the leak is, but I have no sign of a rear main oil seal leak (No oil on the back of the engine). I have gear lube all over the inside of the bell housing, and bearing retainer,and it has even gotten on the clutch disc.

If the counter gear were leaking, wouldn't run down the front of the transmission to the ground without getting into the bell housing?

Is my best chance of fixing this to replace the gasket behind the bearing retainer?

IanRiordan 09-05-2006 02:49 AM

When making a gasket keep it thin as too much input shaft end float will cause it to 'pop' out of top gear on overrun.

k-star 09-05-2006 09:17 AM

Leak

My bet is that the retaining nut is installed backwards... About 25 % of the muncies i take apart that were rebuilt before have the nut on backwards.... The nut is actually a oil slinger arrangement that is designed to vent the transmission and keep the oil from running out the bearing retainer...

I have the gaskets and parts in stock if you need them...PM me if you need a phone number to call

Keith

302 Z28 09-05-2006 11:54 AM

K-Star is right on, that has been my experience also. There probably is not a Muncie in existence that has not been gone into. Most have been worked on by amateurs. The majority of leaks I have found were the result of the nut installed back wards. I even found one that was overhauled in a Chevy garage by an experienced trans man after it came back for a leak.

Vince