Leak from spedometer adaptor - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 PM
bentwings

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Leak from spedometer adaptor

I jacked up the the front of the car to install AC condenser and now a couple days later I have at least a quart of trans fluid on the floor. What a mess.

I slithered under the middle of the car to check it out and it is leaking out of the speedometer adapter. I installed a brand new one including the 'bullet',gear and o-ring last spring. Even the new parts fit pretty loose. They didn't appear to leak at all at first but now I see that apparently it leaks only a drop or so just driving but it all gathered on the rear end and it is now caked with dirt.

I check the level almost every day when I come home and the trans is at operating temp. It's almost always in the 'safe' area on my locking Lockar stick. I may have added 1 qt in 12k miles.

The speedo housing looks good but it just fits lousy. I really don't want to fill it full of silicone sealer but that looks like the only solution. It is close to the exhaust pipe but I have header wrap for a good 6-9 inches on either side of the speedo adapter.

My converter seems to leak down pretty fast too. I hope that is not a sign of impending failure.

Any other ideas??

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 07:37 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
I jacked up the the front of the car to install AC condenser and now a couple days later I have at least a quart of trans fluid on the floor. What a mess.

I slithered under the middle of the car to check it out and it is leaking out of the speedometer adapter. I installed a brand new one including the 'bullet',gear and o-ring last spring. Even the new parts fit pretty loose. They didn't appear to leak at all at first but now I see that apparently it leaks only a drop or so just driving but it all gathered on the rear end and it is now caked with dirt.

I check the level almost every day when I come home and the trans is at operating temp. It's almost always in the 'safe' area on my locking Lockar stick. I may have added 1 qt in 12k miles.

The speedo housing looks good but it just fits lousy. I really don't want to fill it full of silicone sealer but that looks like the only solution. It is close to the exhaust pipe but I have header wrap for a good 6-9 inches on either side of the speedo adapter.

My converter seems to leak down pretty fast too. I hope that is not a sign of impending failure.

Any other ideas??

What brand , make , model of trans are you working on?

Plastic speed-O gear , metal shaft or no?

Old 01-06-2011, 07:44 PM
My pipes are my music

Last photo:

Sounds like you need a new O ring for the adapter and a front seal for the converter. Tranny leaks suck. What kind of trans are you talking about?
Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

My bad..

T-350. Plastic gear, steel bullet, alum housing adapter. All new.

3000 stall converter based on unblown 350 spec. Trans Spec. didn't want me to use this behind the blown motor but it works so good I'd almost like another with an anti balloon ring.

It's leaked down internally since day one.

The o-ring on the adapter was loose right from the start too.

The front seal on the trans is bone dry and so is the slip joint seal at the rear.

Where the car sits in the trailer there is only a light spot about 6 inches in dia from all year.

Now in the shop it looks like a chainsaw massacre.

I think I'll try and get an oversized o-ring over at the industrial supply house.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.