leaking gas tank - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Rooster

Wiki Edits: 0

leaking gas tank

my gas tank has a real slow (drip an hour, maybe) leak on the very bottom. any easy way to fix this? without blowing myself up?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2003, 06:22 PM

Last photo:

Seal All available in tubes, at hardware stores.
Old 10-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Last photo:

If the leak is caused by internal rusting, you will be chasing that laek all over the place. I would drain the tank then remove it and inspect the internals. If it appears to be in good shape internally then the area around the hole can be roughed up and a patch can be soldered on with an electric iron, NO FLAME.

Vince
Old 10-04-2003, 08:06 PM

alot of radiator shops will repair and coat gas tanks. Had mine repaired at a fab. shop. I have welded some gas tanks but DON'T like doing it,so I won't share how I do it. Diesel tanks are easy.
Old 10-05-2003, 10:03 AM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Gas tanks can be welded, but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Radiator shops are usually set-up to do gas tank repairs and seal them. They have the equipment to clean and check them for additional leaks. If it is not too rusty inside, they can also seal them to prevent further problems. The sealer is put inside the tank, so you can paint or coat the outside any way you want to. The charge is usually relatively painle$$. If I was going to buy a new metal tank, I would have it sealed as a precaution.
Old 10-05-2003, 08:51 PM
Why be normal?

Last photo:

Back in the 70's I worked in a auto parts store that had a shop. One day the guy who repaired radiators and gas tanks didn't clean out the tank well enough that he was fixing. Yes there was an explosion and I got to drive him to the hospital. I sure wouldn't try this at home.
Old 10-06-2003, 02:30 PM

Last journal entry: Harley/Fire
Last photo:

I have repaired gas tanks numerous times, but I am a very thorough person... double-checking everything... My question to most people who want me to do it is... Why? If a new tank costs $100-200, what would it cost for the hospital bill if something happened to go wrong? Property damage? Hazards to anyone standing by? Then if they think it still warrants repair- I double check again. A patch is just a temporary repair, so if you want to keep the vehicle, replace the tank.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Race it, Don't rice it!

Last photo:

My buddy fills them with water to push out all traces of vapor and goes to town with the wellder. This way, the tanks can't explode.
Old 10-07-2003, 12:35 PM
Rooster

okay, I'm trying seal all. it looks like it might work. an interesting foot note here, one guy said he could weld it right up for me while it was still in the pickup by filling it all the way up with gasoline. he claims it can't explode if there is no oxygen availible. I told him that sounds pretty crazy, but he claims that's why you can have an electric gas pump inside the tank with out it blowing up and he also claims to have welded tanks this way in the past. he's still alive so maybe he has a point? any thoughts?
Old 10-07-2003, 07:44 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

Electric fuel pumps make no sparks. If they did, you would have to keep the tank full all of the time. Welding with any fuel in it at all is foolish. I can't understand anyone taking a chance like that for a fuel tank. Since welding promotes corrosion, and it is difficult to coat the inside to prevent that, why even try it. A better repair would be to solder it with a heated iron and coating the inside with one of the products made for that purpose.
Old 10-07-2003, 11:14 PM

I recomend JB Weld.....Worked for me :thumbup:

I had to repair a Gas Tank with a hole just like you have. I used the product "JB Weld". I removed the tank, turned it upside down, and then after mixing the Two products together, and mixing VERY WELL, I was able to repair the hole on a Gas Tank, that completely remedied the issue. No more leaks what so ever. Of course, it was not pretty, And how many times do you get under your car to look at your Gas Tank. I ran into NO Problems what so ever. So Consider using JB-Weld.. I have used that product for many things,, such as Radiator leaks, hole in my Power Steering Pump once. All worked fine, I can't put that Product down. It has to heal 24 hours, so make sure you can have the Tank off for that long. If anyone agrees, please let this guy know.

Juice,

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.