Hot Rod Forum banner

leaking gas tank

3K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Juicer 
#1 ·
my gas tank has a real slow (drip an hour, maybe) leak on the very bottom. any easy way to fix this? without blowing myself up?

#3 ·
If the leak is caused by internal rusting, you will be chasing that laek all over the place. I would drain the tank then remove it and inspect the internals. If it appears to be in good shape internally then the area around the hole can be roughed up and a patch can be soldered on with an electric iron, NO FLAME.

Vince

#5 ·
Gas tanks can be welded, but EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Radiator shops are usually set-up to do gas tank repairs and seal them. They have the equipment to clean and check them for additional leaks. If it is not too rusty inside, they can also seal them to prevent further problems. The sealer is put inside the tank, so you can paint or coat the outside any way you want to. The charge is usually relatively painle$$. If I was going to buy a new metal tank, I would have it sealed as a precaution.

#6 ·
Back in the 70's I worked in a auto parts store that had a shop. One day the guy who repaired radiators and gas tanks didn't clean out the tank well enough that he was fixing. Yes there was an explosion and I got to drive him to the hospital. I sure wouldn't try this at home.

#7 ·
I have repaired gas tanks numerous times, but I am a very thorough person... double-checking everything... My question to most people who want me to do it is... Why? If a new tank costs $100-200, what would it cost for the hospital bill if something happened to go wrong? Property damage? Hazards to anyone standing by? Then if they think it still warrants repair- I double check again. A patch is just a temporary repair, so if you want to keep the vehicle, replace the tank.

#9 ·
okay, I'm trying seal all. it looks like it might work. an interesting foot note here, one guy said he could weld it right up for me while it was still in the pickup by filling it all the way up with gasoline. he claims it can't explode if there is no oxygen availible. I told him that sounds pretty crazy, but he claims that's why you can have an electric gas pump inside the tank with out it blowing up and he also claims to have welded tanks this way in the past. he's still alive so maybe he has a point? any thoughts?

#10 ·
Electric fuel pumps make no sparks. If they did, you would have to keep the tank full all of the time. Welding with any fuel in it at all is foolish. I can't understand anyone taking a chance like that for a fuel tank. Since welding promotes corrosion, and it is difficult to coat the inside to prevent that, why even try it. A better repair would be to solder it with a heated iron and coating the inside with one of the products made for that purpose.

#11 ·
I recomend JB Weld.....Worked for me :thumbup:

I had to repair a Gas Tank with a hole just like you have. I used the product "JB Weld". I removed the tank, turned it upside down, and then after mixing the Two products together, and mixing VERY WELL, I was able to repair the hole on a Gas Tank, that completely remedied the issue. No more leaks what so ever. Of course, it was not pretty, And how many times do you get under your car to look at your Gas Tank. I ran into NO Problems what so ever. So Consider using JB-Weld.. I have used that product for many things,, such as Radiator leaks, hole in my Power Steering Pump once. All worked fine, I can't put that Product down. It has to heal 24 hours, so make sure you can have the Tank off for that long. If anyone agrees, please let this guy know.

Juice,
:thumbup: :mwink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.