Leaking Jag GMT-400 Tranny - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2006, 03:59 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Leaking Jag GMT-400 Tranny

My Jaguar has a GMT-400 transmission. Before I purchased the car, the previous owner had replaced it. I did not have any problems for the first two years.

I rebuilt the engine two-years ago, and still did not have any problems.

Last year I put the car in the garage and did not drive it for several months. One day I decided to take it out for a spin, and unexpectedly the distributor cap blew up. Fuel had leaked into the "V" under the distributor Cap.

Since I was working on the car, I decided to go ahead and do some work, replacing the U-joints. I noticed a small leak around the transmission gasket. So I decided to replace the fluid and filter, cleaning the pan as well.

Everything seemed OK.

Again the car sat for several months until January when I was sent to Washington State. I took the car with me on a U-Haul Transporter. While in Washington State I never had a problem. When I returned I put the car in the garage where it has sat. Several weeks ago, I opened the garage door and found a large pool of transmission fluid on the floor. I had hurt my back the week before and could not investigate it. I placed kitty litter on it and clean up as much as I could.

Since then I have had to replace kitty litter on the floor as the fluid keeps coming out.

My questions are,
1) What might be the problem in the first place? Is it a front seal?
2) I am confident in my abilities to take on the task of rebuilding a transmission, are there any kits available for the GMT-400?
3) Is the 700R4 a better transmission and is it easier to rebuild with an above average supply of home shop tools?

The reason I am thinking about undertaking this project is that when I had it priced, it was going to cost me a minimum of $1,500. A big amount to try and sneak past the boss (wife). Otherwise I have plenty of time on my hands.

Thanks in advance for taking your time in reading this thread.

Tony

Last edited by awparran; 08-10-2006 at 04:02 PM. Reason: missing words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-10-2006, 06:49 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

When you get well ... just fix it ...

Sitting is bad for all transmissions as far as leaks ... the seals harden ...
I would find the source of the leak and just replace the seal or gasket ...

Turbo 350 and Turbo 400's will leak around the shifter seal ... look there ... lots of folks overlook that ...
Old 08-10-2006, 09:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
When you get well ... just fix it ...

Sitting is bad for all transmissions as far as leaks ... the seals harden ...
I would find the source of the leak and just replace the seal or gasket ...

Turbo 350 and Turbo 400's will leak around the shifter seal ... look there ... lots of folks overlook that ...

I'll look at it next week. If that is the cause, why now and why in such huge quantities?

Last edited by awparran; 08-10-2006 at 09:41 PM. Reason: choice of words
Old 08-10-2006, 10:30 PM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

It's possible that the shop that rebuilt the trans felt the shifter lever seal (o-rings) was good enough not to replace, or forgot too. The trans won't have to come out, but I'm pretty sure the valve body has to be dropped. Be VERY careful when removing the valve body! DO NOT tilt it or turn over, as there are small valve balls and some springs that can fall out, and you can't usually tell where they go back without a manual.

Other than the pan gasket, the only other two likely sources are the front and rear seals. If the fluid looks like it's coming from the bell housing, it's the front seal. The trans has to come out for that. Any time the trans is out, regardless of how recent it was replaced, replace the front seal! Good preventive maintenance. If I had to pull a trans a month after replacing it, I'd still replace the $5-$10 seal. Better than having to pull the trans again!! If it's the rear seal, of course, it should be obvious.

How long does the car sit? If it leaks some, don't top it back off until ready to drive. On some trannies the fluid in the converter can drain back into the trans when it sits for long periods (say over a week) and cause an overfull condition in the trans body. Then it may leak in places it otherwise wouldn't
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
It's possible that the shop that rebuilt the trans felt the shifter lever seal (o-rings) was good enough not to replace, or forgot too. The trans won't have to come out, but I'm pretty sure the valve body has to be dropped.
NOT SO ...

KD makes a tool ( about 10 dollars or so ) ... to remove and install the shifter seal without even removing the pan. Just remove the shifter arm ...

Deuce ...

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.