Leaky C4 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2003, 04:26 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Leaky C4

Hello I have a slight problem I just put a new 3500 stall converter into my 69 mustang C-4. I bolted everything thing up and it worked great I drove it around for a bit and then stomped on it about 5 seconds later the entire street was filled with smoke.
I came back and tranny fluid was pouring out the bottom of the bellhousing. Now when I start my motor and leave it in park there is a solid stream of fluid pouring out. Could I have dusted the front pump seal, or I hope not even broken the front pump. Any input would be great thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2003, 06:06 PM

Last photo:

leak on c4 trans

take trans out and check tork hub for wear and pump bushing failure. If no wear is found check converter for leak in welds, replace pump bushing, seal and pump gasket and if pump is a 69 replace o-ring as well. later year c4 pump body didnt use an o- ring on pump only a gasket.Make sure you have engine dowel pins in the block gotta keep every thing in line or bushing will wear out on one side.
Old 08-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Sounds like the converter was not completely seated, the aftermarket converters are a little tight to get in and this is what can happen. Usually I rotate the engine with the trans and converter bolted up and applying pressure with the bolts slightly, if the bolts were tight on the bell housing when you torqued them then you can guarantee this is what happened.

I try to make sure the bolts for the bellhousing are seated with finger pressure and the trans is fitting flush and the engine rotates normally before I can say the converter is seated properly. Likely you just blew the front seal.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:18 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

I am trying to remember for sure. It is pouring down rain right now, so I don't want to go to the garage to check. I think the bell housing on the C-4 actually mounts to the front pump and then the case. The leak is most likely from the front pump seal or convertor. On fords, you have to watch how the convertor bolts to the flex plate/flywheel. Most of the convertors had a drain plug or 2 that have to be lined up with the holes in the flywheel. They will bolt up wrong, forcing the convertor to be crooked. This will wipe out the bushing and seal in the pump. There is also a chance that the plug came out of the convertor. I have seen that happen before, when the plug wasn't tight before the convertor was installed.
Like someone said, the convertor should wiggle with the nuts off. If not, it is not installed correctly. I would check for the plugs first, as that is the easiest, then remove the nuts and check that before pulling it out.

Good Luck

Aaron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.