Hot Rod Forum banner

Leaky metering valve

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  astroracer 
#1 ·
The metering valve on the front of the proportioning valve on my wagon started leaking the other day. Lower right in the pic.

Does anyone know of a decent rebuild kit avaliable for these things? I did some searching and didn't find anything.
Any suggestions?
Mark

See less See more
#2 ·
Still looking for some help with a rebuild kit. I pulled the valve out tonight and figured out why it is leaking. Here is a pic of the valve.

The rubber hat is what's leaking. There is a shoulder on it that slips down into the assembly. The joint from the "hat" to the "shoulder" is ripped. Not a good pic but you can see brass when I pull the hat up.

Does anyone have a source for these seals?
Mark

#4 ·
No reason I know of not to mess with it. It's just the metering valve seal that's bad. The rest of the Proportioning valve is fine. I see no reason to spend 70 to a 100 dollars on the entire valve when all that is needed is a 0.50 cent seal. IF I can find one... That's the issue and probably why no one offers the seals in rebuild kits. Much better to make 80 bucks on the whole assembly then .50 cents on a seal.
I did find a source for a replacement metering valve. CPP carries them from what I am finding. I have an email out to them so we'll see what they have.
Mark

#7 ·
Then why do they sell rebuild kits for brake cylinders?

By the way, if you actually use Google, you will find this vendor, who sells rebuild kits for GM and Ford combo valves:

https://www.musclecarresearch.com/

Most of the GM factory combo valves only use o-ring seals, so you can get those anywhere. I've never seen the cup style seal in a GM combo valve. If you have an aftermarket valve, all bets are off.

Astroracer hit the nail on the head. Why sell a $0.50 seal when you can make $80 profit on a complete valve assembly?

#6 ·
Yes, you right about that. I'll keep digging though. I don't have a problem fixing it myself if I can find the right components. If not I will have to open the wallet for a complete valve and just swap out the metering portion...

#9 ·
I looked at Muscle Car Research last weekend. They don't list a rebuild kit for the 71-77 GM Intermediate size car PV71 Metering Valve, which is what I have.
I found brand new complete Metering Valves at CPP though.
http://www.classicperform.com/Store2/universal-products.htm
Pt. No. PVMVKT for 10 bucks. About a 1/4 of the way down the page and listed as "PROP METERING VALVE". I won't have to take the old one apart to replace the seals. Just stick the new one in and put the brass plug back in. :)
I ordered two just incase.
Mark

Reactions: boothboy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.