Thread: Learn
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2003, 05:19 PM
Tow Chainer

Last wiki edit: Rebuilding an early Hemi engine
Last journal entry: cruise pics
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Nessesity is where I got it. My dad was noticably absent around that time of my life. I hit 16 and needed a vehicle, and found a 1974 duster with a very strait arizona body (good thing in NYS). Well my desire for a car overruled my brains and I bought it for about $300. Later found out the block was cracked. The last owner drove it up from AZ with just water in the radiator and parked it for the winter.

I worked to earn a motor for my car, after $200 more bucks got a nice 318 out of an old short bus. Fired it up, and the transmision slipped something fierce..

Replaced transmision, (about $60) Got some time out of it, but it shook bad at certain rpm's. (Found out later I forgot in my haste to connect the two bolts that hold the tail of the trans in place..

Short while later, got a rebuilt trans for about $200. Ran pretty decent. To fast for me.. Got some tickets with it.

Went to college with me.

I learned to rebuild the carb on it.

Got it a paint job, commercial coatings black. (The stuff they paint catapilars with)

Basically I learned what I needed to know to keep a car on the road. Was to poor to afford good vehicles. I read books, chiltons, motors manuals. I asked friends and family. But basically I just did it.

Did I make mistakes? Heck yes!
Was it hard? Heck yes!
Did I have fun? Alot of the time.
Was I proud of the car I had basically built? Damn right.

Good luck with the fiberglass projects. You fabricating something new or fixing something broken?

Stick with it have fun, and remember it's great to say, "I made that." Also think of the stories you'll have.

Jim