Hot Rod Forum banner

Learn to dicker, haggle, deal and swap?

933 views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  4 Jaw Chuck 
#1 ·
Some people just have a knack and others like me don't. If somebody sets a price and I think its to high or don't have that much cash I'll say thanks and walk away. My buddies will stand and talk till they get a better price or piss off the seller. I've tried talking down people at swap meets and usually walk away without the stuff. Can you guys give me some idea's how to go about cutting the price without pissing off the guy with the goods? Swap meet season is very near and I will try some of your suggestions if they sound usable.

Todd :confused:

Rat Rods Rule!

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: tm454 ]</p>

#2 ·
the way I do it and trust me I do it no matter if it is a swap meet or a yard sell. start at a price with in reason that you can afford and know the most you are willing to pay. example if the seller tells you 300 and you are only able or willing to pay 225 tell him oh my wife will kill me if I pay that much could you see you way clear to take maybe half of that 150? he of course will say no but then well I could get by and with going 180 then he should come down 50 or so bring it up to 200 and you should get it.
most seller that are male will know where you are coming from if you mention you wife even if you do not have one.
that is how I got my 54 pontiac the guy wanted 1500 for it and I was able to talk him down to 500 bet he caught heck when he got home........lol
set your mind on having the part and it will be yours. Do not take the first no as solid maybe after the 6th or 7th no but never after the first.

#3 ·
I'm with you Todd I am totaly cluelesss when it comes to haggling. However I have a friend who is the king of wheel'n and deal'n. I once saw him talk a guy in Sears down 50 bucks on a radar detctor. I still have no idea how he does it. I'm the wenie left paying sticker price :mad:

[ March 27, 2003: Message edited by: barz51 ]</p>

#4 ·
lol when I was a kid, my dad wouldn't take me shopping for anything cos I'd kill a good deal with a remark like, "but you've got more money than that dad." so I'd say that having a pocket full of cashola, and the owner seeing that wad of greenbacks walking away, (he knows your gonna blow it on something, might as well be his) and let that influence his pricing. and do not be afraid to walk away.

#5 ·
I have actually used the wife line several times and it works. I usually dont go to half the price, as I feel that is kindof an insult. If the parts are so far overpriced that I am only willing to pay 1/2, I walk away. Usually I find anyone is willing to come down a little, but if you insult them you are SOL. I usually ask for a better price than what I think they will take so I have a little room to come up. On the $300 line from earlier, I would offer the $200 right up front. When he says no, I usually walk around and look the parts over and find something I can put the lower price off on. Maybe a scratch, dent, or something missing. If he is not willing to take my offer, I walk off. BUT, go back a couple hours later or the next day. Chances are if it is still there he is then willing to take the offer from the previous day. Maybe even a bit lower. If not, I will come up just a little to make him feel better. If it is sold when I come back, I can find another one somewhere else. You just have to be dead set on only paying a certain price.

All those swap guys know the "I only have this much money" thing, so I would not suggest it at a swap meet. Usually doesnt work.

Another thing is buying multiple items. If a seller has a couple things you need, it is easier to get a brake. I always offer less when I get a couple things. 90% of the time they will take it.

Chris

#6 ·
I too am the type that will force a used car salesman to take more money than he is asking for so I won't feel so guilty! Fortunately, I have a secret weapon - my wife! She has no shame and will steal stuff from seasoned salesmen and they never know what hit them. I don't even go with her when whe buys a new car. For one thing, the salesmen can sense I am the easy target and I screw up the deal and secondly, she embarrasses me! There are things I just don't need to know! She is indespensible at a swap meet. I just point out the target car part and walk away until she seals the deal.

#7 ·
I would suggest being tenacious...I think that's something sellers can sense. Before I make a purchase decision, I analyze the price. There's a "list", "discount", and "street" price. The Street Price is FMV, or rock bottom "I gotta sell it now" price. If I'm not saving at least $5-$10 or more from the "street" price, I'm not getting a bargain, because someone on the street can give me the same thing. My mind is made up.

(With computers, "PriceWatch" always provides a reliable "street price" for any component. I've always wondered what the equivalent auto supply "PriceWatch" would be. Any ideas?)

Folks here have given me some very good online parts store addresses, and often, eBay Motors can provide some pretty good prices on items previously sold. So I'll take those rock-bottom prices and start looking for deals. I know when I say, "I can get a set of Edelbrock Elite valve covers for $40," I can actually do that. If the seller is wanting to sell instead of getting a suntan, he or she should be willing to knock something off the price, in which case you get a deal, even if its only $2.00 less.

I try to prioritize and memorize my build/mod plan. That way, I'm not distracted by everything, and I have a solid idea of what I need most, and also the lowest price on the street. Then if I find someone whose prices are "in the ballpark," I'll hit on that seller first with one of my high-priority, mid-ticket items (right now, for example, I'll be looking for a good, deeper-than-stock, oil pan). If he/she is willing to "play ball," I pull a couple more prioritized items out of my memory and work up a good "package deal", which makes the seller more relaxed and willing to cut a break. While "dealing" I also keep an eye on the TOTAL cost I will end up paying for the lot which gives you a little wiggle room if the seller is high on one or two items.

But I stick to the bottom line pricing...in order for it to be a deal, it has to be less than street. Its easy enough to walk away.

#8 ·
Originally posted by Kaylah:
<strong> If I'm not saving at least $5-$10 or more from the "street" price, I'm not getting a bargain, because someone on the street can give me the same thing. My mind is made up.

But I stick to the bottom line pricing...in order for it to be a deal, it has to be less than street. Its easy enough to walk away.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hey you younger single guys on this site - I suggest you persue Kaylah with all dispatch. Sounds EXACTLY like my wife!!

#12 ·
Well I don't like to brag...but I am a shrewd bargain hunter. Part of the trick is to know exactly what the item of interest is worth on the open market. Personally I never buy anything at a swap meet mainly because these guys usually had to pay for a table and think their junk is worth a fortune. I like to surf the Buy and Sell type papers because placing an ad is free so anything the seller gets for the item is gravy to him.

If you must buy at a swap meet get the name and phone number of the person who has an item your interested in, phone him later that week and ask if he still has the item. Usually dealing with the seller is much more amicable since he is now stuck holding the item and would give you a better deal at his home.

Always deal in cash, small bills preferably since a wad of ones looks bigger to the seller when you wave them at him. Don't approach the table to deal until you have the exact amount you want to pay in your hands ready to hand over. Studies have shown that odd number values are more attractive to a seller than even numbers so if the guy wants $100 for the item and you want to pay $50 then offer him $45 or $55. When you come up in price always make the number odd such as $59 or $73. If it is apparent that he will dicker on your terms but it is obvious he is matching your bid increase with his offer decrease then jump right to the middle and say something like;

"Ok I see where this is going, lets just split this down the middle..how about $75 and call it even?"

The most important thing is not to waste his time and not appear pushy or even talk too loud, don't be flashing business cards or brag about how nice your car is. Wear clean clothes but leave the gold chains at home, fancy sunglasses are a sure sign you have more cash than your letting on. You want to appear honest and sincere, let him do most of the talking. Silence is golden.

If you don't like his offer thank him and apologize for wasting his time, hang around looking at other items to give him a chance to reconsider his position. I have had many guys eventually change their mind and capitulate after a few minutes of thinking.

Make sure you have examined the item very closely and note any flaws, use these as leverage to dicker down the price. Any rework required to bring the article into working condition is an opportunity to work the price.

If we are talking car purchases then I suggest you get a book on the subject and peruse this <a href="http://www.edmunds.com/advice/buying/articles/42962/article.html" target="_blank">web page</a>.

Good info in there. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.