Learn from my mistakes - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-10-2005, 09:31 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Learn from my mistakes

I'm fairly new at paint and bodywork I recently done the body/paint my 70 chevelle with bc/cc which turned out pretty damn good, except for one thing. After doing the major bodywork I went over the body with a fine tooth comb and a black marker to indicate possible blemishes<---mistake. After putting on the first coat the little black x's bled through and continued to bleed through with each coat. Had to put like 4-5 coats over these areas then blend it in. Anyone have this problem? what should i have done?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2005, 09:47 PM
point on positive

Last photo:

You marked them because they were bad spots. Wouldn't blocking etc. till the Xs were gone solve both problems? Why would you mark them and not do something about it? Kinda like pointing out a bus is coming and then steping off the curb in front of it only to be run over : ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1862747-bunnypancake.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	5719  
Old 07-10-2005, 10:04 PM

Last photo:

Haha, been there but worse. When I prepped for colorsanding I used to mark any dirt specs with a marker so they wouldn't get missed, when the marker was sanded off i knew the spec was gone. Changed marker brands on day- not good, The car was yellow and the marker bled into the clear like it was a tattoo. Ended up sanding and reclearing the whole car. No markers around any paint work of any kind for me ever again.
Old 07-10-2005, 10:25 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,082 Times in 965 Posts
Done it, ONCE many years ago. There is NOTHING that will bleed thru paint like the ink in those friggen markers! You could apply ten coats of urethane single stage and it will STILL look like you wrote on it after the paint dried!
Nope, if you ever touch a car with something like that, you had better sand off the marker and a few layers of everything under it.

Brian
Old 07-10-2005, 11:21 PM

Markers???? I have better than that

I have one better. I worked in a Fab shop where they did metal finishing for some years, heck I ran that department. One day I got called in to the Presidents office and recieved a butt chewing. Apperantely one of my guys was marking bad parts (NFG) with a marker. I think we all know that NFG meant No F####ing Good. Apperantely sooooo did our custmoer who could read it on those parts. After giving him (employee) a tongue lashing, he agreed that when he rejected work back to the welding department, he would not write NFG with a marker. He did not however say that he would not write it with his DA using an 80 grit. Gee, guess what you coulds see when written on these large units when they came out of the paint shop. Just goes to show you how easy it can happen to anyone - but TWICE!
Old 07-11-2005, 12:02 AM
Have Gun, Will Paint

I think most of us have been there at one time or another

I still mark spots.........but now only with pencil.........I never had a problem using a good old pencil
Old 07-11-2005, 12:27 AM

Last photo:

Nope never used marker to mark spots, knew better. Mostly use pencil, use to use one of those grease pencils, but regular old pencil is usually around. I did at one shop ***** to the boss after painting a truck and said something like friggen thing is loaded with dirt, would have been better painting outside and thought I would be repainting. Turns out the guy who was standing next to him while I was *****ing was the owner of the truck. I just thought it was a friend because he usually had his friends visit him during the day. talk about foot in mouth. Good thing it buffed out good. When I was working in the bodywork area of a metal fab shop, I was about the only one that would sand off the marker that the fab guys put on the peices when sanding for primer. Never heard them say anything about the marker though.

Last edited by kenseth17; 07-11-2005 at 12:36 AM.
Old 07-11-2005, 09:26 AM

Last photo:

HAHAHA! Good to hear im not alone now I dont feel so bad Now for the next question What kind of paint guns are you guys using I'm looking at purchasing a SATA for my pops. Are they the best on the market?
Old 07-12-2005, 05:34 PM

Ive Done It Also, Worked In A Shop Where We Would Get Parts From Salvage Yards They Would Have Numbers Written In Marker I Use To Wipe It Off With Lacquer Thinner Before Sanding, I Made Mistake Of Just Trying To Sand Off And The Same Thing Happened Bled Through , So I Found Wiping It Off With Lacquer Thinner Completely Then Sanding And Never Had A Problem With It That Way., Mike.
Old 07-13-2005, 05:57 PM

when i was jus helping out a friend that owned his own body shop .
he hired a kid that was egar to learn to do body work. We told him not to use marker on anythign at all in the shop . We didnt even have them in our shop for this reason. Well he decids one day at lunch that pencil was not good enough and bought him self a greses pen.

Wel he preped the whole car, (55 chevy with flames on the front end )
he seen somethign on it and took out his new toy and went over the whole car with it. at one point he worte somthign to sort of liek teh NFG above but more to the point of hey you Fn idiot you missed a spot nt eh read deck lid.

normally in pecial we would have sanded it off and never thought much about it.
Well this was done on the primmer and we sanded it off and didnt think to much of it (didnt know it was a greese pen yet)

we shot the car with the brite canary yellow base coat and clear coat did the air brush work on the front end etc....

well the car was sitting out front looking really pretty and the custumer was on his way in when we relised the rear deck lid had paint peelingoff of it in a strange pattern.
about that time the custumer came up and read it out loud to us.
needless to say the kid didnt have to worry about not readding his pencil marks any more . I seriously thought i was goign to see murder commited that after noon LOL
worse part it the boss painted the car the night before so he should have cought it , but he said it didnt blled threw till after it was out n the sun abd caused it to heat that greese up.
he can laugh now but it has been almost 10tears now LOL

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.