Hot Rod Forum banner

Learn to race

3K views 35 replies 16 participants last post by  38 special 
#1 ·
Well,it finally happened. I got challenged to race. an '89 f-150 vs. a '92 bronco.
How do i race him? ivew never done it before. so im a little scarred. i told him,im goin to the track only,no street.he said ok. but do i put the tranny in neutral,hold the brake,and then bring the shifter to drive,but not let go. when the light changes,let the shifter go and punch it or what?
Thanks.

#3 ·
what i was gona do is this,
pull up to the line,put the foot brake on,take it out of drive and into neutral,let the shifter go so it goes out of gear,then take it back into drive but hold the shifter,so it doesnt go into gear,when the light changes,let the brake go and the shifter at the same time and punch her. aww hell,im gonna probably lose anyway. but its worth a shot.

#4 ·
about to race

Pull up to the per-stage light and roll your front tire into the staging light, holding down the brake press your lign-lock and press the gas pedal but don't roll your car till the last yellow light light's up then let off the line lock button and mash the gas to the floor and you cut a good light and maybe win!!

Tazz

Rat Rodz Rule!

#6 ·
Like tazz said.

Creep up till you turn on the second stage light.

Let go of the brake and roll into the accelerator at the same time. Don't stomp it and spin the tire off.

Don't wait for the light to turn green to do this, you'll lose. Go when the last amber light comes on. By the time you react and the truck starts moving, the green light will be on.

Good luck.

Larry

#7 · (Edited)
You guys should be ok racing on the street, neither of your trucks will be able to get above the speed limit by the time you get to the next light anyway.-- j/k

Leave it Drive with your foot on the brake, when the third amber light comes on GO. When you've gone far enough down the track to have completed a 1/4 mile you should see a white line painted on the track, thats means your done, start stopping.

Larry I think he'll be ok stomping it, it's only got an I6.

Hey guys how can we call ourselves hotrodders if we don't give him any advise on how to give himself the edge when he's going down the 1/4?

Cruise to make that truck run a little faster take the extra weight out, spare tire, jack, hub caps, anything you can easy take off. Leave the tailgate down or take it off, take off the air cleaner assembly, and pump the front tires up to the max recommended psi (cut rolling resistance). Thats all I can think of right now.

#8 ·
Call me stupid but can't he just have it in "drive" with the foot on the brake and when light hits green roll onto the gas?
Like Ghetto suggested, take the air cleaner assembly off, mix some alcohol into your fuel and take the exhaust off for a bit more power.
I know it's only for ONE race but it's for THE race right?

Mike

#9 ·
Ghetto Jet said:
Larry I think he'll be ok stomping it, it's only got an I6.
My old '65 would light 'em up real well. 300" I6

Cruise,
A couple of practice runs wouldn't hurt. Try it both ways and look at the 60' times. Sometimes coming off idle will make the converter flash a little higher, if it is an automatic.

If leaving off idle, you can try deep staging. Roll into the lights just enough to make the top staging light go out. It'll shorten the R/T if it's a bit on the high side and make the other dude get nervous. He might think you know something he doesn't.

Oh, I almost forgot. When your left leg starts jumpimg up and down, just push a little harder on the pedal. You'll see what I'm talking about when you get into the lights.

Larry

#12 ·
Hey cruise, here is what I always do. Ok, leave it in drive, hold down the brake as hard as you can with your left foot, then with your right foot press the gas as much as you can without "Peeling Out" and as soon as the third yellow light hits when you're all ready, let go of the brake and finish off the gas to the floor and hope to god you win. Does he have a 302ci or a 351ci? Is his stock?

#13 ·
just got back home,he told me he was gonna race his car. which is the bronco,he didnt tell my *** he bought a '66 mustang. thats what he wants to race. it sounds good,it has a v8. i think ive got an idea how to start it off from the line. but whats the line-lock? and what does it do?

#15 ·
I noticed that post earlier. A line lock is a button you can hold down after you pump your brakes 3-5 times and hold the button, it'll keep your front brakes on so you can floor it without moving really, kinda like powerbraking except better for your brakes. You don't have one on your truck, nothing comes with it, you buy it aftermarket. Or, if you want to go a step further with automatics, you can buy a trans brake which will keep the car at a dead stop and you can rev it up as high as you want while the button is down and when you let go it's exactly like popping the clutch.

#19 · (Edited)
Tell him you'll race him your OTHER car too. Then find a friend with something faster than his and have him let you drive it that day.

:D

I think what you described is a neutral tranny drop. That's bad mmmkay? You don't want to do that. If your truck is pretty much stock, just hold the brake and hit the gas at the same time. Let go of the brake and hit the gas harder when it's green.

MoocH

#20 ·
you cant just hold the brake down with out adjustment to spin 'em. hes gotta have his front brakes tighter than his back brakes or he'll just roll and he'll get a red light.

or i heard you can hook vise-grips to your brake lines to cut flow and pressure off the back and put it to the front (as you hold the brake). but to risky there.

and if he did have a line-lock he wouldn't realy burn out do to the fact his rear end is lighter and it'll just hop around.

is it 1/8 or a 1/4 mile track?

besides if you did race the bronco, wouldn't it have lower gears than you?

post times when you get 'em man.

#26 ·
One thing these guys for got to tell you. If you race your insurance is null and void ( at least in Ohio). So If you blow a tire and wreck or hit his vehicle it's all out of your pocket, Hope they're deep. ( unless you have insurance form the track) Good luck. But I concour. Your gonna lose. Race over. :nono: Hmmm.... Does dad have to sign for you to race at the track if your under 18? At least you really are doing it at the track aren't you?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.