Learning things the hard ware - Need some help! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2002, 11:44 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Learning things the hard ware - Need some help!

Got the engine back together in my project car after replacing the head gaskets. Engine is a 93 Lt1 Aluminum heads, roller hydraulic rockers, and converted to a carb from TPI.

The engine was running great before but had a slight water leak out of the heads. I started it up for the first time today and it's running like @#$%. It's blowing a ton of choking smoke, the plugs are fouling bad (not sure if it's oil or gas but they smell like gas), and its running real rough. I checked and I am sure the distributor is in correctly. It's not backfiring back up through the carb. Just choking.

Could I have overtightened the valves and maybe one or more are staying open? I set them to where I couldn't turn the push rods any more and then went about 1/2 - 3/4 turn. I also just got done backing them off and restarted it and same thing.

Any other suggestions? It's getting a little discouraging, especially being I see now that there's also a little oil coming out of the back of the manifold. This is really called learning things the hard way.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2002, 09:33 AM

One good sign is it's not popping back thru the carb. First I would look to see if the carb is dumping fuel into the intake when it's running at idle,if the smoke is black from the exhaust it's rich and most of your problem is likely at the carb itself.The oil leak could be your oil pressure sender if its at the rear of your engine,the gasket that goes under the dist.,orthe intake isn't sealed at the rear.If it's the intake you will have to pull it again to fix the leak a small leak now will be a big leak once you drive at highway speeds.While the intake is off would be a good time to reset the valves when you can see that the lifter is on the heal of the cam. You can bring #1 cyl to tdc on comp stroke and set certain valves and rotate the engine and set the rest I posted the order at one time but don't know how to find it now that it would come in handy,it was in engines,easy valve adjustment.I would set the valves at 3/4 turn unless the cam maker has different specs. I would also use blk rtv at the ends of the intake it will seal better than gaskets.It's no fun doing the same thing twice but thats how we learn,we've all been there and done that.Good luck.
Old 02-03-2002, 09:53 AM

just a thought maby the float level is just a tad to high or some of the carb screws may be lose , vacum leak? teflon for the threads on the sending unit (liquid is the best) and in a pinch warm electical tape will work also just streach it and trim.
Old 02-05-2002, 05:23 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks for the tips. I did get the order to do the valves at #1TDC from someone else on another forum the other night. I've already got the intake off and will do the valves before putting it back on.

The oil leak was bad. When I pulled the intake off, even though I put a good bead of black RTV along the front and back, the back side had shifted and there was a about a 1/2" wide area with no RTV.

I'm gonna pull the heads again this weekend. I used the GM Teflon sealer I got from the local dealer. This time it's Permatex two which more than one have told me it's the way to go. I'll probably replace the head bolts to being this is the third time for them. These are not the stretch kind and the mechanic at the dealership said they are definately reusable but I'm not taking any chances.

The carb isn't spewing at idle and the level is halfway up the and can be seen through the site windows for both the primary and secondary.

Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2002, 07:16 PM

I believe you may have overtightened the valves. You should tighten them just enough to where they will turn with some slight drag and then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. If you tighten them down to the point that you can not turn them and then go the extra 3/4 turn they will be too tight.
Old 02-26-2002, 12:29 AM

I would try the valves again before I pulled the heads again. Maybe a cheaper fix, it sounds like they were too tight to me
Old 05-02-2003, 06:40 PM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Rechek your valves, but lear the proper way to adjust them. I have never spun the pushrod, only lightly moved it up and down as I'm tightening the valves, stop the instant there is no mor noticeable movement, the go 1/2 more turn. You can freely spin any of the push unloaded push rods after I have adjusted them!!!

Bob C Man, help us out here!!

Trees

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.