learning to weld, any tips or advice - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2008, 11:24 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

JC are great also the HS adult education places have programs.

In this area the lead/head welding inspector at US restoration facility teaches a class and brings in real titanium, magnesium, SS and other high end materials to practice on...CHEAP.....

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 12:33 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Make a fiberglass fan shroud
Last journal entry: Next.. ..Bagging the king B (barge)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 161

All of the above suggestions are excellent. I will add one more peice of advice that has helped me throughout the last 32 years since I took my first metalshop class. It was standard practice in class to test your welds.

Weld on scrap steel of similar thickness and joint design to the welds that you are going to be constructing your part out of, then test it to destruction. This is part of the same procedure that will be used for the various AWS welders certifications that a guy must obtain to be employed at any number of fabrication jobs.

Here are some pics of some TIG welds that I made when I had practiced enough to actually start to use. I used the same steel and joint design as I was going to construct my part from, tried a couple of different weave patterns, then put it in my 55 ton shop press to try to break it...

As you can see, the part remained intact, distorting the weld as if it was a single peice of steel. The angle those parts were welded together on was twice what you see there. The round depression is from the press ram.

It took 11 tons to bend and distort that peice of steel like that.

Here is the part I was building..Shockwave crossmember for a 68 Imperial with a 9" ford and 4 bar setup.

You should also make welds on scrap, cut the sample apart at right angles to the weld, then use some of the spot check materials commercially available to check for voids or no penetration at the weld bead to base metal. You can also get friendly with the local machine shop, and have the part magnafluxed.

You can also weld your samples, then put them in a vise, and beat the part apart, or bend the part right at the weld...If the weld breaks, you have not succeeded in welding it.

I hadn't stick welded in years, so when I wanted to use my stick feature on my TIG, I did some sample parts..

Welded one edge in a T joint on 1/4" mild steel.

Start bend.

Point of failure.

As the steel had bent considerably past it's yield point prior to failure just past the weld, I considered this weld a success.

Every new joint design goes through the same process at my shop. Especially if it a production part, several samples of the actual part get tested.

I sleep well at night, I do not worry about my welds at all.

One more thing....practice..practice and more practice.
There is no substitute for seat time.

Later, mikey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0026.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	33519   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0028.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	33520   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0029.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	33521   Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0030.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	33522  

BE different....ACT normal.

No one is completely useless..They can always be used as a bad example
Old 10-25-2008, 03:16 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

i just took delivery of a new Miller 140 auto-set and it came with a nice CD on setup and trouble shooting. I would reccomend getting that CD from miller as it has a good refresher even if one has been welding for years..

Sam
Old 12-29-2008, 07:54 PM
72 grabber 51F-1 65 chevystang

Last photo:

We got the welder out yesterday. We put a small spool of wire in it and it worked great. I played around with it today and I can lay down a smooth bead.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

If you underneath the door where the spool is the is a settings chart for heat and wire speed for the thickness of metal you are welding. Start out with those settings for whatever your welding. Their settings are pretty close to get you going. Once you get better youll learn to fine tune the settings. Keep your nozzle around 1/4"-3/8" from your work. Once you get the hang of the MM175 youll love it, I know I have no complaints about mine. Also you can rent welding videos from here Http://smartflix.com/store/category/27/Welding I have rented a few and they are pretty good. Also try your local library for welding books. Good Luck!
Dont forget, practice, practice, practice
Old 12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

one of the things you guys can do is cut some coupons out of the practice parts that you have welded and then put them in the vise and beat on them until they break,,When you can weld pieces that do not break then you are getting there..

Sam

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.