at least nobody's sawing my head off - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 08:55 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thumbs down at least nobody's sawing my head off

i always warm up my pontiac in the am for 5-10 minutes. 326. takes a while, runs like crap when it's cold. yesterday wifey goes out and starts it 10 minutes early. she's frustrated cause she didn't get any last night.

the engine wont go off high idle unless you stab the throttle. so there is sits running for 15 minutes. as soon as i get in the car. at the instant my *** hits the seat, the radiator cap lets go and turns into old faithful! my new aluminum radiator didnt have a fitting for an overflow hose and the threaded hole is pointed right at my engine so the fan just throws water everywhere.

hop in the truck, go to work, put $50 worth of gas in on the way home. wifey filled up the Tempest with water, washed it off and put it back in the garage. so when i get home i take it out and go around the block. a big block around the dykes of the Skagit river. Ten blocks from home the red light comes on and right after than the engine dies and old faithful erupts again. so here's the problem:

listening to the boiling water inside the engine and radiator, i hear lots of little explosions going on. there doesnt seem to be any water in the top radiator hose. i let it cool, and when i can pop the cap i put in a small amount of water. banging continues. start engine, add more water, bang bang. not mechanical but hot air escapting to somewhere, then a BIG bang. couple more and it goes away. fill up the radiator, get in the car and i have steam on the inside of my windshield! drive home. red light comes on, engine dies. walk home, go to store buy new thermostat. get in car 1/2 hours later, steam on windshield but nothing dripping out on the floor so. what happened? did those pressure explosions really blast a hole in my 6 year old heater core? is this all just a bad dream? at least nobody's sawing my F'n head off. YET!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2004, 09:38 AM

Last photo:

Head Job

Unless you are in weather below freezing, running the car 10 minutes is not a recommended thing to do. Sounds like you have been driving this thing and fixing all the reactions and not fixing the problems. Boy you asked for this. SO USE YOUR HEAD and take that car to a dyno shop. Problems: Carb out of adjustment. Timing off. Leaking intake manifold. Possible bad belts. That car should come to life and purr like a kitten.

hr41pearl
Old 05-14-2004, 11:10 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

car has only 40,000 on it and up till yesterday ran like a brand new car. sounds ran great after it cooled off. still when i get home want to check the oil. only changed the radiator cause it was leaking, not from any over heating. damned idiot lights!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Oil Light

Daughter told me the oil light came on as she started home from LA. What did that mean? DA Same for temp lights.

So the car is running ok now?

hr41pearl
Old 05-14-2004, 01:27 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

it runs fine except i only drove home one block last night. i cant get back to check it till after work today. so whaddya think, is it possible to blow up my heater core this way. i'm thinking it did or there wouldnt be steam in there. hopefully it just blew apart a hose or something minor. but it makes me wonder because of there not being water on my floor.
this is but a fly on the poop pile that is my life at the moment.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:04 PM

Last photo:

Sorry

I missed the part of it being on the inside of the windshield. YUP, bet on it being the internal heater core. Hose and you would have a very wet floor. You can of course by pass the interior heater at the water pump. Just cut a hose and make a loop from one to the other. Will cause no harm. Tempest, should not be a hard job taking the core out and having it repaired.

hr41pearl
Old 05-14-2004, 05:58 PM

Last photo:

Sounds like the thermostat was stuck shut from the first post. The "banging" is usually the water trying to boil inside the block and also being pushed the wrong way ( by the pressure) through the water pump. I'm sure you had some pretty serious pressure spikes in the system that took out the heater core.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:04 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

I learned in hot rod magazine long ago, when the windshield gets sudden fog out of no where with a light oily residue, it`s a soon to be bad heater core. I left a red light in my 86 cutlass, decided to floor it since I hadn`t opened her up in a while, light went green I nailed it, went to second and the windshield fogged over so bad I had to hang my head out the window, was not a good experience to say the least, I looked for water leakage and never seen any, drove it home, parked it and shut it down, looked on the floor and it was dripping away.
Old 05-14-2004, 09:40 PM
current hot rod: CTS-V

Last journal entry: Lets Get Started With the Improvements
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jmark
Sounds like the thermostat was stuck shut from the first post. The "banging" is usually the water trying to boil inside the block and also being pushed the wrong way ( by the pressure) through the water pump. I'm sure you had some pretty serious pressure spikes in the system that took out the heater core.
I think it's a stuck thermostat.

30 Years ago the thermostat stuck on an Impala my uncle had. His radiator cap didn't blow off. The whole top of the radiator did, he said it sounded like a shot gun went off.

Mike
Old 05-15-2004, 07:50 AM

Last journal entry: JB's 37 Pickup
Last photo:

Bull, sounds like a chain of events. Thermostat stuck (or coolant was very low), coolant overheated and pressure cap did not do its thing, thus system over pressurised until cap blew. The side effect of the over pressurization was the weakest link in the system failed slightly, in your case the heater core. I would replace my rad cap, thermostat and heater core and hope there are no other weak points in the system, like a head gasket.

Trees
Old 05-18-2004, 09:31 AM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

thanks you guys. i put my old stat in some boiling water and it didnt do anything. my sisters isuzu just did the same thing a couple weeks ago too, weird.

put in a new stat. no more problems. no water in the oil. dont think there's any oil in the water. i took out the heater core, not too terrible in a 66 and it looked like it had been slightly leaking from before but the radiator shop pointed out a blown seam. soon to be back together.

jumped my hoses around the core and am driving it w/o problem. different size of hoses tho, so better not build up too much pressure. have made to and from work for two days tho so it will be fine till i put the core back in.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.