Leaving bare metal for period of time - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2006, 07:00 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Leaving bare metal for period of time

Hi all,

I have a general question. I am restoring a '66 Malibu and am wondering what I may need to do if I have to leave a panel stripped bare for any length of time? Is there something other than a primer that can be applied in between work sessions or something to that effect?

Thanks very much,

George

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-22-2006, 07:10 PM

Last journal entry: final pics
Last photo:

It dose not take long for bare metal to flash rust in humid weather . I see you are down south so I am sure you will get flash rust very quickly . Until you can get some epoxy primer down , I would sand it back down before doing anything .
Old 10-22-2006, 07:19 PM
Last photo:

As suggested, a quality epoxy primer is what you need to apply. Fillers and body work can be applied over the epoxy with no ill effect.

Vince
Old 10-22-2006, 07:33 PM

Last photo:

we use to wipe the panel with dx520 (I think) if we couldn't get primer on it and protect it overnight. There is some warnings against using if also spraying an etch primer or on sandblasted surfaces I believe. Is others said your best bet would just to epoxy prime asap and then you won't have worries, then just reapply later on as needed. http://www.ppg.com/refinishftpsite/docs/p-226.pdf
Old 10-23-2006, 07:22 AM

Last photo:

ospho worked for me, when i stripped my nova piece by piece i sprayed some on the bare metal and it stopped rust from forming(i live in florida). as for how long it would last, i dont know because i generally sprayed epoxy on it within a week (after sanding it again, of course)
Old 10-23-2006, 08:04 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Don't leave it for long

Speaking from very recent experience, you MIGHT get away with overnight before rust appears. I finalized all of the paint removal on a body recently late on a Friday evening. In stead of priming on Saturday morning couldn't get back to it until Monday - and had to completely DA and hand sand the @#*% car over again . Instead of priming at 9:00AM it was 5:00PM before I could light up my spray gun. In Florida - good luck on more than overnight. Prime with something. I am a proud convert to epoxy. Nason works well and cures extremely hard, and is very difficult to sand after cure. SPI also works well but can be nicely sanded, I believe about as well as most acrylics and 2Ks - and I'm a novice.

Dave
Old 10-23-2006, 02:59 PM

Get some Pickelx 20 and put it on.

The stuff is a bit pricey, but if you need to do significant metal work you will get the protection and other benefits you need. It also keeps you from having to take off the protective prime.
Old 10-23-2006, 05:00 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

The "protective primer" does not need to be removed if it is epoxy. Go with some kind of epoxy primer! You can put filler right over it. Even without sanding it if you are quick enough(check the window on the primer you use).
Old 10-23-2006, 06:13 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

As CMC said, just go with the epoxy. If you use either Ospho or Pciklex, you may have problems when you apply the epoxy later, or even worse, not know that you are having problems until the finish peels later.

I recently did a job on a car that had the easiest hood that I have sen for stripping. I used an air hose and blew the paint off. It had been treated with Ospho before the last paint job.

Aaron
Old 10-24-2006, 07:09 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

I think I know where you are coming from. Messing with a paint gun is pain for a small area, right??

The easy way. Mix a SMALL amount of epoxy, and use one of those throwaway spray bottles from NAPA. I forget the name, but they have a small aerosol charge on top, and a clear resevoir on the bottom for your primer. They cost about $10.00. When your done, toss it. The $10.00 you spent, will be save in electricity running your compressor, and the abrasives. Let alone your time. No cleaning. No messing with solvents. And the metal is protected. SOMETIMES, it will last a few days in the sprayer!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:59 PM
Paintshop Dog

Last photo:

For that matter, if it is a small area you can actually brush on some epoxies, maybe even use a roller.

Good Luck!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 AM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

[QUOTE=Beenaway2long]I think I know where you are coming from. Messing with a paint gun is pain for a small area, right??

The easy way. Mix a SMALL amount of epoxy, and use one of those throwaway spray bottles from NAPA. QUOTE]

Consider a $12 (or whatever today's price is) Harbor Freight jam gun as well. An ounce or two of cheap lacquer thinner will clean it. If you forget, oh well, it's the price of a 12 pack of Bud.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Last photo:

been a way to long is talking about a preval sprayer. Harbor frieght sells them cheap, under $5 I believe. Can't see them listed on their website though. It should work, but of course wont lay it as nice as a gun. They also have some other thing there where you can remove the top and recharge the can to spray. Never tried it, cause I just fire up the compressor and get out the touchup gun if I am doing a small spot.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=1102
Old 10-25-2006, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Those Preval sprayers are great for small jobs. My local Sherwin Williams store carries them at good prices too.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:19 AM
or Jeff, or Doc, or...

Last journal entry: Results of the Camaro
Last photo:

Nice thing about preval units.. just spray some laquer thinner through it and your done. or toss it. Either way, pretty hassle free. No compressor waking up the wife or neighbors at 11:30 a night. Just spray it, and walk away. It will end up being sanded, because you won't get back to it within its respray window, so you could lay it on anyway you want. Just a cheap, SIMPLE option. No you have NO excuse for walking away and leaving bare metal! LOL

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.