leaving bare metal while still sanding filler - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2013, 05:25 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LOL...Josh, your right, please don't tell me...cause I really like what I see you've done on your car...LOL. Seriously though Josh, it's a situation where we don't know what has happened and what is going to happen...and probably most important, who is reading this, not posting and thinking "I don't need a primer gun...I can just roll my primer on"..and maybe on another thread he heard read it's Okay to sand your filler with 80 grit...and didn't read further where the guy might have said that he finishes his filler in 240 grit...none of it's wrong...but, you put everything together and it's a time bomb.

Small spots on bare metal...have at it with a small brush...over filler, no way....again Josh, we just don't know how big, over what, who's reading and applying bits and pieces of information and what's going to happen next.

Ray

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2013, 07:13 PM

SPI Epoxy Tech Sheet http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/TechManual.pdf is adamant that the metal temp should be a minimum of 65 degrees and maintained for 24 hours.

I assume that this would apply whether it is sprayed or brushed on.

If you don't have a source of temporary (24 hour) heat, you probably should not apply the SPI Epoxy.
Old 10-20-2013, 07:25 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:

Or other brands of Epoxy
Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joelk View Post
SPI Epoxy Tech Sheet http://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/TechManual.pdf is adamant that the metal temp should be a minimum of 65 degrees and maintained for 24 hours.

I assume that this would apply whether it is sprayed or brushed on.

If you don't have a source of temporary (24 hour) heat, you probably should not apply the SPI Epoxy.
ok now that being said whats the reasoning behine the 65 deg,,,what happens if its sprayed below 65 deg,,??? just wondering
Old 10-21-2013, 08:30 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81camaro1 View Post
ok now that being said whats the reasoning behine the 65 deg,,,what happens if its sprayed below 65 deg,,??? just wondering
It won't cross link properly
Just get ya in a big mess down the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to da34guy For This Useful Post:
81camaro1 (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:51 AM

Last photo:

Yep, it irreversibly stops the curing process and gums up.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lizer For This Useful Post:
81camaro1 (10-21-2013)
Old 10-21-2013, 08:41 PM

Last photo:

Had this happen to me when I first started using SPI epoxy. It was very cold temps in december when I shot it over bare metal. The very next day I just happen to scratch at it with my fingernail and it scraped right off with ease. I was a bit shocked that it had not cured. I usually run the heat on during the day then shut it down at quiting time, then turn back on in the morning. Called Barry and found out about the 65 degree deal, I ended up being very lucky as I just turned the heat way up for a couple days straight and it did cure and was fine.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:15 PM

Last photo:

I think my "painting season" here is Oregon is about done also. I try to time paint and primer work, so the sun is out, and parts can be placed in direct sunlight.

If your garage is not too big, even a small space heater can significantly raise the temp in the garage over night.

Another option is to use flood lamps to provide radiant heat on the panel you are painting. It is not the ambient temp you are worried about, it is the temperature of the panel the paint is on.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.