Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Leblond metal lathe advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 10:31 PM

Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
Grouch
The machine part is relatively cheap. Wait till ya buy the tooling for any of these machine tools!!!! You'll have 2-3 times the machine cost wrapped up in tooling. Then you have all your measuring tools....
I can easily believe that. I looked around at chucks and "accessories" before going to look at the lathe. Most looked like they would take some time and skill to build from scratch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldred
Been, Yep one thing leads to another, it's an addiction if you are doing it on a hobby level as it seems that old bugaboo "if I had this to go with that then I could do this" is always popping up. No doubt about it it's a whole separate game if doing it for a hobby and one machine like a lathe is only the beginning but my lathe and mill are my most prized tools and for someone who enjoys building/rebuilding his own gadgets and tools I highly recommend them.
It looks like I'm going to have to try building that multimachine. Using the machined surfaces of an engine block to bootstrap a precision metal working tool is just an appealing idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister honey
The thing that caught my eye in your previous post was the comment that you turned the compond dial several times with a consistant 100 graduations backlash.
I think I had the wrong handle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister honey
1. Probably the dial you were watching had 200 or 250 graduations in one revolution. If you found 100 grads of revolution on a 200 grad dial; it means the screw/nut is one-half worn out. New, this lathe probably had only 4 grads or .004 inch backlash.
I remember seeing the number 360 on the dial, but can't remember if that was the highest number. I was mainly looking for differences as I held my finger against the slide to feel when it began moving while I watched the dial and cranked it back.