Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Leblond metal lathe advice?
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2005, 09:31 PM
Last wiki edit: How to document your project
Last journal entry: 1949 Olds -- Rotisserie, pt. 9
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Originally Posted by Beenaway2long
The machine part is relatively cheap. Wait till ya buy the tooling for any of these machine tools!!!! You'll have 2-3 times the machine cost wrapped up in tooling. Then you have all your measuring tools....
I can easily believe that. I looked around at chucks and "accessories" before going to look at the lathe. Most looked like they would take some time and skill to build from scratch.

Originally Posted by oldred
Been, Yep one thing leads to another, it's an addiction if you are doing it on a hobby level as it seems that old bugaboo "if I had this to go with that then I could do this" is always popping up. No doubt about it it's a whole separate game if doing it for a hobby and one machine like a lathe is only the beginning but my lathe and mill are my most prized tools and for someone who enjoys building/rebuilding his own gadgets and tools I highly recommend them.
It looks like I'm going to have to try building that multimachine. Using the machined surfaces of an engine block to bootstrap a precision metal working tool is just an appealing idea.

Originally Posted by mister honey
The thing that caught my eye in your previous post was the comment that you turned the compond dial several times with a consistant 100 graduations backlash.
I think I had the wrong handle.

Originally Posted by mister honey
1. Probably the dial you were watching had 200 or 250 graduations in one revolution. If you found 100 grads of revolution on a 200 grad dial; it means the screw/nut is one-half worn out. New, this lathe probably had only 4 grads or .004 inch backlash.
I remember seeing the number 360 on the dial, but can't remember if that was the highest number. I was mainly looking for differences as I held my finger against the slide to feel when it began moving while I watched the dial and cranked it back.