Hot Rod Forum banner

LED conversion bulb question

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Madd Syntst 
#1 ·
I was looking at the new type LED bulbs that are made to replace the old standard 1156 and 1157 bulb. Has anyone used these yet? Do they give the same resistance to the circuit as a standard bulb? The reason for my question, if the resistance is different, the flashers and turn signal may not work correctly. Also, in a red tail light, would you use a super white or a red bulb for the best effect?

#2 ·
I ordered a pair of those 1157 leds from jegs. Sent em back. Not at all bright. They were priced at about $10. There are some newer ones out that are more expensive. They are probably better. This is one item where the higher cost usually means higher quality. Hotronics sells special flahers for led setups and Watson's Streetworks sells loads which you wire into the circuit to make up for lack of pull on the system for stock flashers. The loads are cheaper than the flasher from Hotronics but some say they heat up. I finally opted to make stainless reflectors for the light housings and used a 2357 bulb.

#3 ·
i tried those $10 leds last year in my steet rod. they were from watsons.they were brighter,only lasted 3 months. then i sent for a pair that cost $90.00
they were not as bright as the 1157 standard bulbs. i called these people and all they said was my system wasnt up to snuff or a poor ground. bullhockey!i went back to standard bulbs,painted the inside of the housings white,installed my own made stainless reflectors,presto! bright lites!!! you do want you want but i dont think they are worth the money.if you really want led`s,buy the premade lights and you still may have to change the flasher or add something else. i talked to a lot of these led lite people last year at the east streetrod nats. they all had a different story as to how to get them to work the best. hope this helps. i spent over $100.00 and went back to the old bulbs.

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: FASTFORD ]

[ May 31, 2002: Message edited by: FASTFORD ]</p>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.