LED exterior light options and advice? HID headlights - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 01:50 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

This the guy that I use for the LED lites:

http://www.flipflopled.com/

he surely has something that will work for you.

shop around for a harness as i think all that you need is a 11 or 13 circuit harness and those are reasonable..ez wire or painless and there are others..got mine at a swap meet

for the headlights just head over to NAPA or the auto zoo and pick up some better 7 inch lights that fit the buckets you now have. the HID option gets spendy real quick..

Sam

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2011, 02:41 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot Racing
Irelands Child: I have seen that LED site before, but I never thought of checking them out.
Does the LED taillights and marker lights that SpeedWay sells have a special/different lens that helps project the LED light? Or are there complete LED light sets simply an LED bulb that plugs into the incadescent bulb holder?

OK - LEDs. The plug in replacement bulbs, i.e. 1157 are just that, with some circuitry in the base and several LEDs, usually 9. Any auto supply seems to sell a version of these at whatever price the buyers will bear.

Then the Pontiac clones I'm using are a complete assembly with 30, I believe, LEDs and on the back side, you will see the electronic circuitry potted in place that lets them work.

In neither case do you need any additional focusing as they emit their light in a fairly narrow beam - a 'for instance', one of those $2-$4 three LED flash lights use the same type beam and is plenty bright.

My Hi-Lo beam indicator and directional indicators are also LEDs and are visible in sunlight when the top is off.

Before, all lights off:

After, tails only, no brake lights:

Since those were taken, I have added 3rd brake light on the license frame, also an LED fixture.

Dave W
Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM

Last journal entry: Por 15
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

So I bought some LED tailights which I will also use for turn signals and some LED turn signals for the front.

Are there any special instructions for the LED lights? I remember with another vehicle that i coverted to LED that I had to push a resistor in parallel with the wiring harness so that I wouldnt get a fault code on the dash board.

Do i need to do anything special? Or just install them and plug them in?

There were no instructions with the lights...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
So I bought some LED tailights which I will also use for turn signals and some LED turn signals for the front.

Are there any special instructions for the LED lights? I remember with another vehicle that i coverted to LED that I had to push a resistor in parallel with the wiring harness so that I wouldnt get a fault code on the dash board.

Do i need to do anything special? Or just install them and plug them in?

There were no instructions with the lights...
Plug 'em in and they will work, tho probably not flash

You still need some resistance to operate the flasher - so that means either a resistor on each side or an electronic flasher. Also, if you have cruise control, often the shut off signal is the brake light function - i.e. that resistance once more.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Plug 'em in and they will work, tho probably not flash

You still need some resistance to operate the flasher - so that means either a resistor on each side or an electronic flasher. Also, if you have cruise control, often the shut off signal is the brake light function - i.e. that resistance once more.
My current brake lights are also used as my turn signals. I haven't checked, but there must be a flasher on them. I guess since no damage can be done I will just hook everything up and see what happens.

I can measure the ressitance of the stock lights, then measure the resistance of the LED light. Whatever the difference is I can add that same value resistor in "series".
Does that sound Safe and proper?
Old 01-09-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
My current brake lights are also used as my turn signals. I haven't checked, but there must be a flasher on them. I guess since no damage can be done I will just hook everything up and see what happens.

I can measure the ressitance of the stock lights, then measure the resistance of the LED light. Whatever the difference is I can add that same value resistor in "series".
Does that sound Safe and proper?
I think I would spend a couple more bucks and get some correctly sized ceramic resistors from someone like Watson's Streetworks. I have those on my wiring and they will get warm - seen in that homemade bracket below .

Another way - in a hidden area, just add a filament type socket and light to each side
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

Leds

I have LED's in all four corners with signals, the front were a card with I think 13 lights yellow lights and a 1157 bottom, as I had the clear glass Henry put on it. the back I put a led light kit that wired into my harness.

I had put the tail lights in first and they worked without adding or changing any thing. Then I put the front ones in, they would not flash. I got a flasher from speedway they still would not flash, paid way too much for the flasher.
Sweet talker that I am, I talked the guy into letting me send it back. ( Most won't take back electrical parts.) Called the place I had got my tail lights from he sent the Electronic Flasher for both my signals and hazard flashers, and I think they were only $14.00 for both, speedway over $50.00, which was not electronic.
Mine have been in my 46 now for 4 years, oh I have a 3rd brake light also in the back window. They are very bright, both night and day, never any trouble.

The name of the place is I think Tectronics I believe I have the box in the shop. Both tail lights $106.00. I did have to re-build my light bucket some, but that was only about half an hour each.

Bob
Old 01-10-2012, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Irelands Child:
Is your comment about the type of resistor I should use assuming that I need a resistor at all?

35terraplane
Can you verfiy the place when you got that electronic blinker? I bet a little internet searching would find something similar. But if your flasher worked for you, I'd rather buy the same exact thing so I don't have to worry about something not working later.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:43 AM

Last photo:

Led Lights

Quote:
Irelands Child:
Is your comment about the type of resistor I should use assuming that I need a resistor at all?

35terraplane
Can you verfiy the place when you got that electronic blinker? I bet a little internet searching would find something similar. But if your flasher worked for you, I'd rather buy the same exact thing so I don't have to worry about something not working later.

I went out to my shop the name of the place is Technostalgia, look them up.

They don't show the flasher just call them, seem to be nice guys.

Bob

Last edited by 35terraplane; 01-10-2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: add
Old 01-10-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Irelands Child:
Yes, my ceramic Watson's Street Works were $9/pair - and IMO, a cheap and easy install vs the Grote electronic (expensive @ $22 each) flashers that I could NOT make work
Old 01-10-2012, 11:32 AM

Last photo:

Led lights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irelands child
Yes, my ceramic Watson's Street Works were $9/pair - and IMO, a cheap and easy install vs the Grote electronic (expensive @ $22 each) flashers that I could NOT make work
Dave question, what is being done different with so many wiring jobs, that one will work this way, and another won't. Mine worked with the electronic flashers, which by the way were way less than $22.00 bucks, I didn't pay that for both of mine. Anyhow I wired my car just like I would have with the old style bulb. Then I put Led lights in for tail lights and a third brake light. Worked fine, put the front ones in, would not work, not enough load, Never tried a resistor just called Speedway theirs flashers didn't work. Called the place that I got the tail lights from and his flashers did work.

It seems everyone has something different, I mean there are only so many ways you can wire these lights some are using relays some not. I was a Aircraft electrician. But never stuck with it after the Navy But I have wired a lot of cars, but not too many with LED's, or any of this new stuff.

Bob

Last edited by 35terraplane; 01-10-2012 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Edit
Old 01-10-2012, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Dave question, what is being done different with so many wiring jobs, that one will work this way, and another won't. Mine worked with the electronic flashers, which by the way were way less than $22.00 bucks, I didn't pay that for both of mine. Anyhow I wired my car just like I would have with the old style bulb. Then I put Led lights in for tail lights and a third brake light. Worked fine, put the front ones in, would not work, not enough load, Never tried a resistor just called Speedway theirs flashers didn't work. Called the place that I got the tail lights from and his flashers did work.

It seems everyone has something different, I mean there are only so many ways you can wire these lights some are using relays some not. I was a Aircraft electrician. But never stuck with it after the Navy But I have wired a lot of cars, but not too many with LED's, or any of this new stuff.

Bob
Bob - I wish I knew. Mine has a straight up American Autowire "kit" and the regular lights worked when I did my wiring. I just transferred the wires from the test socket to the installed LED lights and they lit but wouldn't blink. I installed the electronic flashers(need one for the emergency flashers too) - no flash . Installed the resistors and now the lights work. My guess is - they are electronically different. Could they be made to work? Possibly/probably - but that's a project for another day as I needed working flashers and brake lights for the cruise control shut off which works very nicely.

Dave W
Old 01-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Last photo:

I Installed the front blikers and the brake lights on Saturday. Here is what is going on:

Blinkers obviously don't work. Emergency lights don't work. <-- Looks like I need the ballist resistor or an electronic blinker.

What did we conclude was the best approach?

The weird thing about the brake lights is: One brake light works perfectly. The other simply lights up when the headlights are on ONLY. The doesn't get brighter when I actually step on the brake pedal.
Is this a resistence problem? or wiring problem?
I can't imagine it being a wiring issue. I cut the two wires going to the one brake light and wired my new brakes lights to those wires. Pretty easy.

Thoughts?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 AM

Last photo:

I ordered the load resistors and wired them up on Saturday.

The blikers still don't work. I am going to order an electronic blinker as a back up but I want to mess with the connections of the Load Resistor a little bit more.
I will report back with my results.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:37 PM

Last photo:

Just installed the electronic blinker and the turn signals still don't work.

What else could it be? I am wondering if I should start checking all the wiring I did when I installed the blinkers. I am starting to wonder if the wires are reversed and that might be causing the problem. That is what happened with one of my LED brake lights....

HELP?

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.