Hot Rod Forum banner

LED install?

823 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Frisco 
#1 ·
Just making sure! When I install my Led light into my frame, it picks up the grd from there. My two wires coming from the Led, are they both HOT, because either one that I touch 12v to it will light? Seems right but thats why I'm asking, thanks, Dana.

#2 ·
39chevy said:
Just making sure! When I install my Led light into my frame, it picks up the grd from there. My two wires coming from the Led, are they both HOT, because either one that I touch 12v to it will light? Seems right but thats why I'm asking, thanks, Dana.
No they are NOT both HOT.

One lead is the (+) and the other is the (-). The LED will only light up with the HOT wire (source) hooked to the (+) terminal and the (-) terminal to ground.

Reversing the leads will result in the LED not lighting up.

One lead is usually a brass terminal (+) and the other is silver in color (-).

#4 · (Edited)
pepi said:
They might both have a 12 vdc input, what is the light used for? if a tail light one wire would be tail light and the other brake .......
You are correct. :D

I was only thinking of a single LED that is used as an indicator light. What you have described is actually two (or more) LED's encased in a "bulb" and is pre-wired where the exposed terminals are connected to the source (+) and the main body is connected to the LED's (-) terminals and then the body becomes the ground.

After posting the above (which is based on my own experience) I did a search and found the link for LED's which has some good info. Scroll down to the bottom for info on available combo brake/taillight "bulbs" to replace conventional bulbs.

Some LED's have one terminal longer (+) than the other while the shorter terminal is the (-). Others are pre-wired and the RED wire is the (+) while the BLACK is the (-).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.