left a block outside in the rain for a year - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2006, 12:28 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

left a block outside in the rain for a year

what do you think i will have to do to it now? it needed to be bored .030 over so i fiugred ***! did i screw up again???? i been told all the bearing surfaces will need to be gone over, ie line bored and maybe even taking the cylinders out to 060!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2006, 12:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Bull,
Take it to a good machinist and have it checked out..Might be savable..Mains and cam bores will probably need to be honed at least..0.30 should clean the bores we hope..

A good boiling out and magnaflux check to see if it is good should be done anyway,,

Sam
Old 06-11-2006, 01:09 PM

Last photo:

Biggest problem will be the bearing surfaces. If the block had cam bearings in it. You will be OK in that area. Check lifter bores for pitting and main bores will probably have to be honed. Cylinder bores MAY clean up at.040. Otherwise it will have to go bigger... You prob should consider using another block!
Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

hey bob, good to sse you around. didn't like what you had to say much tho. the bearings are all in it still, the lifters arn't. cant just thro it away as it was a virgin 400 block just don't have a place to put it, but shoulda wrapped it up. don't have a vehicle to put it in either. oh well. still sounds salvageable, just wont be able to sell it for the $300 i coulda got last year.

obviously, they must make lifters oversized?

Last edited by bullheimer; 06-11-2006 at 03:12 PM.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

Bull, I just saw a 400 block ,WITH NO MAIN CAPS, worn out .030 bore and cracks in the steam holes go for over $200.00 last week on Ebay!!!! Yours still gotta be worth $300.00

Good luck finding stocker type oversize lifters. It takes a lot to kill the lifter bores. Run a berry bush or brake cyl hone thru them, just enuff to remove rust. Then take a lifter and make sure it fits snugly and rotates..You will be surprised
Old 06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

oh, i already am! but those high hopes are usually more than i expect. so you are saying good luck if my lifter bores are rusty? i will check it out some time in the future. i have a feeling, which is why i hung onto the block in the first place, that someday something will come along. and if it doesnt. i may end up building it stock to put in my pickup, as my 6000 lb truck seems to be a bit much for my 350. that's good news tho, thanks! i will bag that block after a good scrubbing and drying off with the proper grease all over everything. i was, in addition to boring it, planing on having to line bore it as well. i have a 455 for my pontiac, remember that?, that is first order of business, and even that is after 1-i get my truck painted (just spent over a grand on body work/windows and felt), and 2- i get lower gears for my pontiac. i presently have -i think anyway- 2.73:1 in it. but i will take better care of this 400 post haste.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:14 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Don't they call that seasioning the block?

Unless the intake was off and the rain filled up th block it should be OK to take to a machinest and have him give it a look see. I have engine's saved in my garage a 350sbc, 406sbc, 377sbc, 305sbc and a truck load of parts...I don't want to sell them on e-bay and package them up and send them off....maybe I'll load them up and take them to a swap meet.

Tazz
Old 06-17-2006, 11:48 AM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

It would be worth your while to seek a machine shop in your area that has a Sunnen (formerly Am-Pro) bake oven/shot blast cleaning system. Running your block through one of those will remove a lot of the rust. We have that kind of system and it works great.

tom
Old 06-18-2006, 01:55 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last photo:

i just bagged it tom. i'll worry about it when i get the $75 the shop down the street wants to clean and magnaflux it. i just got laid off friday. i'm not gonna spend a dime on it now. i even got the trash bag for free. i am putting the grill back in my truck today. tried yesterday but forgot i gotta attach it to the lower valance to get those bottom screws in. gotta beat the rain. i know, noon is a great time to try and beat anything!!!! if i build this thing it will probably be stock to put in my 4x4. it's a shame in a way, cause it would cost just as much to build stock as to build race, with my current heads that is. oh well, that's why it will be on the back back burner, unless my 350 blows up

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.