The Legendary 396 BB - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:46 AM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
I have a customer that thought that. Two months ago he bought a Craigs List 427 "all original".

Turned out to be a 396. Has been trying to sell it. Not an offer yet. He just bought a 454 block from me to build his 427. Then started pricing new parts to build and it turns out. I can build him a 496 cheaper..

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #17 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 68
Posts: 1,841
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 103
Thanked 292 Times in 240 Posts
BOB: The performance 396 blocks with 4 bolt mains are what some people are looking for. Try putting your 2 bolt main blocks on racingjunk.com or on our classifieds (you've probably already done that) I saw the pics of your Gasser project, I like it!~ you going to race it or is it a memory of good times project In 1970 the first 402 was introduced and a few true 396s were installed till they were exhausted.

Jester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 02:48 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
Yes. My Copo Nova was a 70. First of the 402's, low boy aluminum intake also the first of the peanut spark plugs. Had to special order the first two plug changes..Only plugs available were for Buicks and they were the wrong heat range..
Haven't worked on ol Stude for a bit, my toy box is like a 40x90' ice box.
I plan on doing some bracket racing with the Stude. Tho not serious. Been that route. Back when it was fun. Rumor is that Lapeer dragway is closing (closest track, unless I move back up north). Maybe take it to Milan for a Gasser meet.. The rest of the time it will be a nasty sounding, weekend car cruise special.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 03:10 PM
gearheadslife's Avatar
MentalMuffinMan
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,327
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 128
Thanked 310 Times in 288 Posts
496 cheap he says..lol
what you call cheap...
I have a 489 in the basement waiting to be screwed together..
bbc roller cams are 1000.oo
heads are far from cheap..
hell nothing bbc is cheap.lol
selling the 396 might be a hard sell. as no ones got money..
I just tried to sell my dart proI heads n.i.b. for 700 less than summit does, and got zero bids..
heads would've been great in my chevelle, as that was going to be a wild hair bbc
now that the 489 is going into a 71 c-10 the ports are to large for my use.. unless I add a turbo or two
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 09:20 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 68
Posts: 1,841
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 103
Thanked 292 Times in 240 Posts
Bob: I heard Lapeer already closed LOL Rumors I'm in the middle of the mit! I love the ground shakers and the old gassers and FX cars ! I like the old Class racing wght to cu.in.! I quit when bracket racing took hold, I hate bracket racing! Go too fast you lose LOL. I raced many cars "B" Gas, "A" Modefied, "G" 0ptional, & "S S" classes 60s through the 70s! Toured the tracks on pit crews for the Shaker, G.M. & Ford. The last few years were for Mopar. My last gasser a 38 Plymouth I took off the track, I set up for street in around 74 and sold it just a few years back! Its first engine was a Red Ram it was in it when found it and after building for gasser class a '64 409, then a 426 max wedge, then a 66 396, then a mouse built like a house LOL Sold it to pay off medical bills!!!! I really miss that car I had that car 45 years !! My Money was low and I picked up a 77 vette I hate vettes LOL Ive had it almost 5 years or 6? Been working on it and having fun in it at the same time!!

Jester

Last edited by painted jester; 02-03-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #21 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 10:22 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
When I worked for Central Michigan Dragway (Mid Michigan Motorplex). I was involved in trying to buy Lapeer Dragway. But the Vakula bros. kept dragging their feet. We could have made a nice place out of it.

"Middle of the mitt". I have a place just south of Cadillac myself. IF (?) the economy improves. I want to sell my SE Michigan digs and retire to the pine trees. Health problems are taking their toll. I want to get some serious playing done before checking out. Besides I have three barns full of parts and many car projects planned, before the big one. BOB
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #22 (permalink)  
Old 02-03-2013, 11:44 PM
painted jester's Avatar
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW
 

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Central Michigan
Age: 68
Posts: 1,841
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 103
Thanked 292 Times in 240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
When I worked for Central Michigan Dragway (Mid Michigan Motorplex). I was involved in trying to buy Lapeer Dragway. But the Vakula bros. kept dragging their feet. We could have made a nice place out of it.

"Middle of the mitt". I have a place just south of Cadillac myself. IF (?) the economy improves. I want to sell my SE Michigan digs and retire to the pine trees. Health problems are taking their toll. I want to get some serious playing done before checking out. Besides I have three barns full of parts and many car projects planned, before the big one. BOB
I'm between Clare and Everat, I heard talk some one ( the Detroit street racers?) are trying to get Detroit Dragway up and running! rumors?

They are having old school drags at Gladwin city airport a few times a year unsanctioned (just good old boys having a good time) 1/8 mile & timed But you can run and tune with a 1/4mile blast! No roll bar or ETC Needed! mostly streetrods and big muscle and a few inport wheezers.

Coleman Mich. has one of the best small town 3 day shows Ive attended in 20 years Burn outs & cruise Fri, show all day & evening Sat, and ends Sunday evening.

We have to meet when you come up on a weekend maybe go to a show or cruise a little Just PM me and let me know.

Jester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #23 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Texas
Age: 51
Posts: 21
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm kinda partial to BBCs. I have a 396 in my 69 Camaro and a numbers matching 66 Impala SS with a 390hp 427. Don't see many 396s around here for sale...but when you do they want $1000 for a bare block. So if you northerners want to get rid of those 396s let me know. I'll pay shipping.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #24 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,751
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com View Post
Yes. My Copo Nova was a 70. First of the 402's, low boy aluminum intake also the first of the peanut spark plugs. Had to special order the first two plug changes..Only plugs available were for Buicks and they were the wrong heat range..
Haven't worked on ol Stude for a bit, my toy box is like a 40x90' ice box.
I plan on doing some bracket racing with the Stude. Tho not serious. Been that route. Back when it was fun. Rumor is that Lapeer dragway is closing (closest track, unless I move back up north). Maybe take it to Milan for a Gasser meet.. The rest of the time it will be a nasty sounding, weekend car cruise special.
A COPO with a 402? So that was a L34 or L78?

Last edited by prostreet6t9; 02-14-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #25 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 05:16 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
L-78 ordered from zone office in GrBlanc, Mi. Basic body, dog dish hubcaps, rubber floor carpets. 375hp. M22 tran, 3:73 hd posi. HD suspension/brakes.
I tried to get the 454/450 but at last minute they called back and said it couldn't be done.

An interesting thing happened (just one of several) about this vehicle, I was notified when it was built. Then they lost it.. It ended up being delivered to a dealer in Wisconsin. By the time it was located. it had been sold. So they built another one. I did the original order in late September of 69 and didn't get the car till January 2, 1970.

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 02-14-2013 at 05:29 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #26 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:02 PM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,751
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
You still have the car? Those rare chevy's are pretty cool
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #27 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
If that 396 can be bought for a couple of hundred dollars and it's all there...hell, I'd buy it.

When I hear about finds like this it reminds me of a story almost 40 years old now. In 1974 I was selling Wynn's Oil Additives in small towns in Southern Manitoba. One night it was getting dark but, I saw a 69 Z28 Camaro sitting outside a 2 car garage with the hood off of it and the lights on in the garage. I pulled over and went inside the garage, the owner and his buddy where tearing down a small block Chevy and I asked if the Camaro was for sale...he looked at me and said NO WAY...he was tearing down a 327 that he was going to rebuild and put into the car. I asked about the 302 and he told me that he had it checked out and it had a bent rod, he said he didn't know how much other damage there was but the engine was toast and the 302 where too expensive to start replacing parts compared to a 327. Without seeing the engine I asked if it was for sale, he said $50 and it was mine....I figured a bad rod...fine...maybe booth heads are OK, the intake should be good, block should be workable. I had less than $5 on me but had a bunch of company cash from the days sales and bought it, shoved it in the back of my Wynn's van and drove the 30 miles home. When I got home I asked my Dad to help me unload the engine. As we where unloading it he asked me what I paid for it, what was wrong with it and what I was going to put it in...I only had answers for the first 2 questions and got yelled at for the whole time we unloaded it, $50 back than was like $500 to $700 today.

About a week later, I figured I'd start taking it apart to see how bad it was...first valve cover I took off, a push rod was bent and sitting beside a rocker arm, so he did have a bent rod...took it completely apart and all I could find wrong with the little 302 was the lifter to the bent push rod looked like it may have collapsed....I still have that motor today, bent push rod, lifter and all. Over the years I've had projects that I wanted to put it in but never have. Now that I'm semi retired, I'm sure I'll find that perfect car...and yes...I did replace the $50 of the company's money.

I know that the OP asked if for the right price if it would be a steal, and my story is a little off, but like I said, if it's all there, I'd buy it.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #28 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:24 PM
prostreet6t9's Avatar
Differential/Driveline
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: oregon
Age: 51
Posts: 1,751
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 9
Thanked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 widetrack View Post
If that 396 can be bought for a couple of hundred dollars and it's all there...hell, I'd buy it.

When I hear about finds like this it reminds me of a story almost 40 years old now. In 1974 I was selling Wynn's Oil Additives in small towns in Southern Manitoba. One night it was getting dark but, I saw a 69 Z28 Camaro sitting outside a 2 car garage with the hood off of it and the lights on in the garage. I pulled over and went inside the garage, the owner and his buddy where tearing down a small block Chevy and I asked if the Camaro was for sale...he looked at me and said NO WAY...he was tearing down a 327 that he was going to rebuild and put into the car. I asked about the 302 and he told me that he had it checked out and it had a bent rod, he said he didn't know how much other damage there was but the engine was toast and the 302 where too expensive to start replacing parts compared to a 327. Without seeing the engine I asked if it was for sale, he said $50 and it was mine....I figured a bad rod...fine...maybe booth heads are OK, the intake should be good, block should be workable. I had less than $5 on me but had a bunch of company cash from the days sales and bought it, shoved it in the back of my Wynn's van and drove the 30 miles home. When I got home I asked my Dad to help me unload the engine. As we where unloading it he asked me what I paid for it, what was wrong with it and what I was going to put it in...I only had answers for the first 2 questions and got yelled at for the whole time we unloaded it, $50 back than was like $500 to $700 today.

About a week later, I figured I'd start taking it apart to see how bad it was...first valve cover I took off, a push rod was bent and sitting beside a rocker arm, so he did have a bent rod...took it completely apart and all I could find wrong with the little 302 was the lifter to the bent push rod looked like it may have collapsed....I still have that motor today, bent push rod, lifter and all. Over the years I've had projects that I wanted to put it in but never have. Now that I'm semi retired, I'm sure I'll find that perfect car...and yes...I did replace the $50 of the company's money.

I know that the OP asked if for the right price if it would be a steal, and my story is a little off, but like I said, if it's all there, I'd buy it.

Ray
That motor is a POS.. But I'll do you a favor and give ya $500 so You dont have to deal with it.

Now Thats a score!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #29 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 06:39 PM
BOBCRMAN@aol.com's Avatar
Member
 
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Holly, michigan
Posts: 8,168
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 26
Thanked 279 Times in 259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
You still have the car? Those rare chevy's are pretty cool
No. I was badly injured in 84 and had to sell it. Car only had 22 thousand miles on it. I had replaced the 396 with a Berger Chevrolet 454/450. Headers, intake etc.

NOBODY wanted it! Who wanted an old muscle car in 84?

poor gas milage and plain Jane looks. Sold it along with the original 3 thousand mile 396.
For $1700.00. The buyer put it in storage until 2003.
had the paint touched up. Found some of the original dog dish wheels. Sold it at one of the big auction places for $45,000.00

PS I also had a 69 Z/28 , put more than a couple pushrods thru the rocker arms. One time the lifter jumped out of the hole and I had to drive it home with 5 psi. on the oil gauge. Lost my butt on that one in 84 also. Muscle cars were out..

Last edited by BOBCRMAN@aol.com; 02-14-2013 at 06:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #30 (permalink)  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:00 PM
Faith - Respect - Trust
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Ontario
Age: 58
Posts: 3,508
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 192
Thanked 638 Times in 572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreet6t9 View Post
That motor is a POS.. But I'll do you a favor and give ya $500 so You dont have to deal with it.

Now Thats a score!!
It's kinda funny that you mentioned the POS part...The Wynn's sales job was a part time thing I was doing for my neighbor and did it mid to late afternoons when it was slow in my Dad's shop. My Dad owned a service station and I was apprenticing under him...One day he walked up to me and told me he had a buyer for that motor I bought and the guy was going to give me $100 (and I did laugh when I read your post) for the POS. Of course I turned it down and later that evening I overheard him talking to my Mom...he was a bit upset and told her that they had raised an idiot.

Maybe true in many respects but, I think I did OK on that one...LOL.

Ray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another Legendary Dragstrip Closing.... KCIR S10 Racer Off-Topic 2 11-12-2011 12:24 PM
Legendary stupid catagory DoubleVision Off-Topic 18 08-20-2010 03:06 PM
Wow, stood next to a legendary car... 68RATVT Hotrodders' Lounge 0 04-21-2007 11:28 PM
Replacing a legendary engine!!!! 4 now... rezervation_pitbull Engine 3 07-21-2006 04:39 PM
Most legendary customizer in rodding history? rlackey Hotrodders' Lounge 16 03-12-2005 06:39 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.