is this legit? vinegar for metal prep. - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

My plastic bumper prep (mold release agent) smells just like viniger...Hmmm
although I never tried it a lot of (older than me) timers use it to etch galvinized and (I think) aluminum....But most metal prep products are a joke read the ingredients before you buy ....you can get alcohol cheap..if thats what you want to use .it dont have to sat Dupont on the label

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,073 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonJay
The only thing that concerns me is that one of the principles of metal prep is that...

phosphoric acid changes iron oxide (rust) ...which is an onging process, into iron phosphate... which is a dead gray material that just lays there and never will cause a problem. That is why I never worry about rust that I could not dig completely out of the pits and scatches.

Vinegar does not contain that. If it is cheaper... and just as good... why don't the paint supply companies use that in metal prep, instead of phosphoric acid????? :-( Besides... metal prep may be the cheapest paint product in my shop! Why would I change it, and risk future problems???

No thanks.
That's exactly how I feel. You're spending THOUSANDS of dollars rebuilding a car and you are going to save $4.68 on metal prep? Makes no sense to me.

Brian
Old 04-21-2011, 10:22 PM
Last photo:

A little extra virgin olive oil will keep it from rusting....for a little while

Spending thousands on paint and labor
Using vinegar as metal prep...priceless

Vince
Old 04-21-2011, 11:30 PM

Last photo:

vinegar contains acetic acid at low molarity. By the time you've diluted this out another four-fold you've now dropped your acid molarity even more, I can't even fathom how this would be remotely effective, not to mention you're rubbing water all over your car.

His videos are entertaining--for a while. But after watching one it convinced myself that even my amateur *** could do what he was doing and as good or better (I can certainly apply filler better). Needless to say I would never take my car to him. If I'm paying somebody, I want to be amazed at the work I see, not have something look like I did it.

Personally I still stick to my zinc phosphate.
Old 04-22-2011, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
That's exactly how I feel. You're spending THOUSANDS of dollars rebuilding a car and you are going to save $4.68 on metal prep? Makes no sense to me.

Brian
Right ,maybe for (around the house stuff) like lawn mowers and mail boxes,but if theres no vinegar???? I just steal the old ladies deuse******every time I restore a car......and I just a six-pac of coke to treat the rust (phosphoric acid) dont worry about the sticky stuff ,the ants will eat it.(cheap help)
Another one is molasses for cleaning engine blocks...Many of the hard cases on another "traditional" hotrod site swear it works...LOL,but why would you want to use it in the first place ? It takes months to work and you'll have to send the block to the machine shop anyways..why not just let them clean it the way they want????and what if you dont get it all out of there ? dont molasses make hard candy when its heated???? Sweeeeet.....
But why waste even 5.00 on these metal prep BS products at all ???
Wax & grease remover is all you really need unless its got rust...
Like I said most of them are 90 something % alchol the other stuff in it is to mask the smell....IMO most of those metal prep products are just as much a pie in the sky as vinegar

Last edited by deadbodyman; 04-22-2011 at 04:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 06:51 AM

Last photo:

as a matter of fact i just use vin and lemon juice on the car trailer.. dollar store stuff.. i mixed 50/50 and did a very heavy spray on the trl top, let it soak for overnite with a cover on it. can't say it did a great job but it kinda worked.. it sure don't work as good as the reg rust remover stuff...
Old 04-22-2011, 07:42 AM

Last photo:

Since my budget has got too tight I now just resort to peeing on my rust. If you live near a nuclear power plant the rust will even probably dissolve right before your eyes.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:44 PM

Not with my prostate,it would take all day to get one wheel done,but,If you can pee on the roof of your trailer you should join the fire dept...
Old 04-25-2011, 07:45 PM

Last photo:

I'm a total amateur but I think Pete is great. His welding and painting skills are pretty impressive and he shows his art and makes the process accessible, by showing techniques a hobbyist and beginner can pick up. He has been doing it for long enough that if his process is a problem he would know it by now??? He puts bare metal in epoxy ASAP. He clearly takes pride in his work. Anyway... just my 2 cents!
Old 04-25-2011, 09:36 PM

Last photo:

Experiment at your own risk. The industry has been using this product successfully for 50-100 years... and it was formulated by chemists for this purpose.

You want to listen to one guy, who is the only one I have ever personally heard of doing this.... and ignore the advise of guys on this forum who have done this for as long as me, or even longer.

Good luck. I hope it doesn't come back to haunt you.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:10 PM

Last photo:

Putting bare metal in epoxy ASAP is certainly not the benchmark I would use to determine whether someone is good or not.

I have had bare metal on my Mustang all winter with no flash rust, which means I must be better than Pete.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.