Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lengthening shift points in a TH350
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2003, 06:12 PM
NYOFP4RJ3CHRIS

Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally posted by D88
i have an Delta 88 with an Olds 350/Th350 and I have the same problem. I am NOT a mechanic. but I would like to know how to change this problem. My transmission will not shift out of FIRST gear until 50 mph and between 35-49 I get hardly ANY acceleration. All i hear is the flowmasters (gotta love the roar!) but as soon as I hit 50, it kicks in and I'm flying again. Can anyone help me?

after reading the first post again, I have the exact opposite problem, but I still need help
You probably have a sticking governor.

It's located toward the rear of the tranny and has a cover that resembles a master cylinder cover (with a wire type retainer). You can remove it and clean it making sure the valve moves freely in it's bore. Beyond that I would do a pressure test (will need a guage or take it to a shop), cause it could be a number of things in the valve body itself.

Usually the transmission will not return to first gear when coming to a stop. Meaning you will be taking off in second or even third gear (possibly explaining the lack of acceleration).