lets chat about belt sanders - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2012, 02:14 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

lets chat about belt sanders

I have one of those small belt top versions right now that I love and use all the time. but I really would like something more heavy duty. any thoughts?

I see stuff like this come up on locals sites.. whats a good brand and good hp to look into?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 AM
I don't understand?

Last journal entry: this is only a test
Last photo:

I dont know any specifics about them
we had them at all the gas tanker shops I have worked at, they are great if you do a lot of alum. work
I would like to have one for home, but I dont have the room
Old 01-29-2012, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Burr-King is the top of the line, but hang on to your wallet.

I have a Grizzly 12" dics, 6 x48 belt sander. Have had it for over 15 years and never had a problem.
I think I paid $199 for it new. Just looked and it is now $800 YIKES !

Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Yep, nothing better than a Burr-King.

The "Industrial" standard for abrasive belt Horsepower is 1HP per inch of belt width. Before I get flamed let me say you never see that on most everything. E.g., usually its 1/3 hp on a 1" or 2" belt. Rarely is it even 1hp on a 6" width. An industrial strength 1" wide belt should be 1HP. You can't appreciate the difference until you use one.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:53 PM

Last photo:

great info thanks alot now I have a idea what to look for.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

We have a brand new Menards 6 in belt 9 in disc sander. It went up in flames after deburring about 20 1" dia tubes. Nothing with heavy sparks, just an edge break on .058 wall round tune. The dang plactic guards all went up in thick black smoke and flames. We had to use a 10# fire extinguisher on the thing. What a mess.

We got a replacement and it too nearly went up in flames. We could smell it right away so we took off the bottom guards which are plastic and you could see where just small grinding dust had started melting the plastic.

I think these are for woodworking and really not suitable for steel use.

Ironically at another shop I do a lot of work at has one and has had no problem with it and they grind the death out of steel.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:04 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
We have a brand new Menards 6 in belt 9 in disc sander. It went up in flames after deburring about 20 1" dia tubes. Nothing with heavy sparks, just an edge break on .058 wall round tune. The dang plactic guards all went up in thick black smoke and flames. We had to use a 10# fire extinguisher on the thing. What a mess.

We got a replacement and it too nearly went up in flames. We could smell it right away so we took off the bottom guards which are plastic and you could see where just small grinding dust had started melting the plastic.

I think these are for woodworking and really not suitable for steel use.

Ironically at another shop I do a lot of work at has one and has had no problem with it and they grind the death out of steel.
Maybe theirs was built with steel guards?
Old 02-03-2012, 05:06 PM

Last photo:

If you dig around evil-bay....look for old Porter Cable stationary sanders.They're one of the best kept secrets in sander/belt grinder world.

Folks get scared of them because theres absolutely NO parts availible.Which is funny,'cause about the only thing that wears out on these monsters is the bearings.....which is a no-brainer getting and replacing.Ideally,you'd find one thats "not working" goin for scrap prices.Or maybe one with a cracked casting,missing sheetmetal.I think theres a 10" on the 'Bay now.But am really talkin bigger than that.BW
Old 02-05-2012, 10:04 AM

Last photo:

I have a Jet JSG-6 belt sander that I purchased over 25 years ago for about $400.00. It looks like the Grizzly except it gray in color. It has a 1HP motor that doesn’t bog down under heavy grinding. I have cleaned up ¼ and ⅜ inch thick brackets after torch cutting with no problem. The first time I used alum oxide belts that I got were for wood working even though they said it can be used for metal. The alum oxide will grind the plates but the belt backing material became distorted, buckled and warped due to the heat generated and would wander all over and essentially were throw away even though there was alum oxide left on the belt. I found out that you need belts that are designed for metal sanding. I have used both Norton and Klingspor belts and they will not distort and last a long time under severe work. I use rough grits for the belts and a fine grit for the disc as a finish grind. Also if you grind alum you need a special dressing to apply to the belts to keep the filings from clogging up the abrasive grit. Good luck.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.