lets get this 350 running - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

lets get this 350 running

New rebuilt Chevy 350 turns over but it will not start. New Eldebroke Carburator in place carb is spitting out. I have turned the carb 180 still no fire. I have checked for spark and there is spark. I asked about this earlier here and was advised to move the dist over 1 tooth, but it only goes in 2 spots 180 apart. Im stuck. Optional Information: Pre- 1983 Chevrolet Camaro 350Already Tried: checked firing order, gets spark, gas in the card. Turned the Dist 180 tried multiple positions with dist. I checked the the compresion in 1 and 2 cylinders and I get 70 to 75 I removed the valve cover from the even side and checked the rocker arm and there was some very loose arms. I tightened them at .030 roughly and rechecked 2 thru 8 and got 2=100 4=100 6=105 8= 110. on the odd side before removing valve cover 1=70 3=113 5=105 and 7=80. I ran out of time tonight so I couldnt adjust the rocker. will tomorrow. Any thoughts?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrhuston
New rebuilt Chevy 350 turns over but it will not start. New Eldebroke Carburator in place carb is spitting out. I have turned the carb 180 still no fire. I have checked for spark and there is spark. I asked about this earlier here and was advised to move the dist over 1 tooth, but it only goes in 2 spots 180 apart. Im stuck. Optional Information: Pre- 1983 Chevrolet Camaro 350Already Tried: checked firing order, gets spark, gas in the card. Turned the Dist 180 tried multiple positions with dist. I checked the the compresion in 1 and 2 cylinders and I get 70 to 75 I removed the valve cover from the even side and checked the rocker arm and there was some very loose arms. I tightened them at .030 roughly and rechecked 2 thru 8 and got 2=100 4=100 6=105 8= 110. on the odd side before removing valve cover 1=70 3=113 5=105 and 7=80. I ran out of time tonight so I couldnt adjust the rocker. will tomorrow. Any thoughts?

if its spitting out of the carb sounds like you don't have the dist installed correctly. pop off the drivers side valve cover and install the dist with the rotor pointing at cyl #1, the balancer at the TDC marks, and both the intake and exhaust valves closed.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Sound's like your valve's need to be reset.
Old 02-27-2008, 11:01 AM

Last journal entry: 351W rebuild
Last photo:

Hi,
You need to get the valves & compression straightened out, cranking press should be around 150# w/no more then a 10% difference between cylinders, when you look at the adjusting nuts on the rockers, are there about the same amount of threads showing on each stud?did you prime the engine? if you push on the rocker on the push-rod end, is it firm or can you push it down a little?

As for the dist. I think your saying you can't move the dist one tooth because of interference with something, well lift the dist all the way out &
use a long screwdriver to move the oil pump so the dist can go all the way back down , you may need to do this a couple of times, but I don't
think this is your problem, at this time
Good luck,
Rich
Old 02-27-2008, 11:15 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Need engine specs, what heads, gasket thickness; cam type,timing and lift; type of pistons, length of rods, etc.

Something isn't right based on compression you give.

Hotter cams are less tolerant of set up than mild cams for example. Cam could be installed out of time. Proper SBC installation for chain and gear cam drive is cam gear notch in the 6 position crank gear notch at the 12. Then after all other assembly and just before closing the timing case cover rotate the crank so the timing marks are all in the 12 o'clock position. It's now ready to fire number one. Now don't mess with it till the distributor is dropped in. You will need a long screw driver to position the the oil pump drive slot so the distributor shaft tang will align with the pump drive when the distributor is installed. If the dist. won't drop in, you've got to fiddle the oil pump drive till it does. It's real smart to do this when the engine is still on the build stand, even if you have to pull the distributor back off for installation, as once it's it all you've got to do is drop the dist. eliminating trying to feel it's way in when you can't even see back there to do it.

Bogie
Old 02-27-2008, 12:00 PM

The first thing you need to do is to get somebody over there that knows what they're doing or you are likely to do serios damage to your new motor.
Old 02-27-2008, 09:19 PM

Well I have the 120 to 125 in each cyl. with the rockers adjusted. I brought 1 Cyl to the compresion and placed the Dist with rotor at 1 I got an almost. the clostest I got, I got a backfire through the carb.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:53 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Well I have the 120 to 125 in each cyl. with the rockers adjusted. I brought 1 Cyl to the compresion and placed the Dist with rotor at 1 I got an almost. the clostest I got, I got a backfire through the carb.
how positive are you that you installed the timing chain correctly? Something sounds fishy
Old 03-03-2008, 08:32 AM

I am sure I lined up the timing gear but I cannot 100% guarantee I did. I have been trying to fire it up for the first time and just canít get it. I am lining cyl. 1 at what I believe to be TDC lining the rotor up to wire 1 and just wonít fire. The next thing I was thinking about doing is pulling the front off and double checking the timing line up.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Check the firing order on the wires one more time.
Make sure the rotor isn't on backwards.
Make sure the pin holding the dist. gear to the shaft isn't broken allowing the thing to slip around. If it is, find out why it broke before moving on.
Bring the engine around to TDC using the balancer, as indicated with your timing mark. Check your #1 valves to confirm both are closed.
If not, your balancer is wrong,(slipped elastomer ring, although unlikely it can happen) your valves are out of adjustment, or your timing gears are improperly installed. Get a second set of eyes over there. Go through the motions, plug wires, static timing, etc. Still no start?
I'd pull the water pump and timing cover.
Confirm the timing marks on the gears are where they need to be; if so take a look at where you have the dist. set. If not, reset (backing the valves off may be necessary to do this.)
Reinstall the gears, re set the valves, bring it to TDC on the balancer.
Mark your dist. cap for #1 with a sharpie. Put some oil on the dist. gear. Slide the dist. in , make sure it all lines up. Check your work. Try it again.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:15 PM

Sounds to me like he just doesn't know how to set the distributor.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:58 PM

Again, save yourself a bunch of work, aggravation and money by getting someone there, or taking to someone, that knows what they're doing.
It's not that i wouldn't love to help you, but these types of things are often very hard to diagnose without laying hands on the subject.
Old 03-03-2008, 05:44 PM
boatbob2

cant start sbc......

the whole problem is that he turned the carb 180 degrees.....i didnt know you could do such a thing.....
Old 03-03-2008, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

you can with a holley but the linkage can be a bite.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Honestly you need to get some one to help you, if it is a new cam it can go flat from to much cranking.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.