Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodders' Lounge (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodders-lounge/)
-   -   Lets see some cool shift knobs! (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/lets-see-some-cool-shift-knobs-226087.html)

xxllmm4 11-14-2012 04:36 PM

Lets see some cool shift knobs!
 
1 Attachment(s)
I just ordered this on Ebay. I never really thought about it much but they have some really cool beer taps for that would make perfect Hot Rod shift knobs. I know its been done but I don't really see to many at shows.

Anyway lets see some pics of your favorite shift knobs :mwink:

silentpoet 11-14-2012 05:44 PM

The problem I have is that most of the cars I have or am looking at are column shift. So it is hard to figure out a cool shifter knob. I have seen the cheap/cheesy ones you can buy at wal-mart or autozone. They are not really an improvement.

Ghetto Jet 11-15-2012 01:24 AM

When I had my 03 Cobra someone on the forum went to a lot of trouble to have these made.

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...ktLMBsIUYIyoAT

xxllmm4 11-15-2012 11:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

The problem I have is that most of the cars I have or am looking at are column shift. So it is hard to figure out a cool shifter knob. I have seen the cheap/cheesy ones you can buy at wal-mart or autozone. They are not really an improvement.
I never had a column shifter car cool enough for a new knob but I think one of these would look cool if you want to make your own. I totally agree, all of the off the shelf ones you get seem to be really cheap looking. They have quite a few custom ones on ebay, spendy but they look good.

1971BB427 11-15-2012 04:01 PM

I'd like a cool shift knob, but not sure how to incorporate my line lock into one?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...y/DSCF3466.jpg

xxllmm4 11-15-2012 06:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pretty cool idea

silentpoet 11-15-2012 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxllmm4 (Post 1611734)
Pretty cool idea

yeah I am sure the cop who stops you will think so too.:D


It is nicely done though.


I have seen some shift knobs that look like loaded revolver cylinders, not super cool anymore(kind of played out to me), but I have my idea for a take on it. Get an actual old revolver cylinder and have it machined to fit your shifter rod. Not a polished piece of perfection, but something with a touch of age and use to it.

spinn 11-17-2012 04:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a Factory Acura solid polished Walnut shifter knob upgrade. You would never believe the price people paid to have it as a dealer option. $300+ for the screw on knob.

Keeping it for the sake of 90's insanity. Had it in my intgra for a while.

JGK95 11-17-2012 05:51 PM

I've seen a beer tap done before, but that was only once and in the '90's.

Great idea, man.

Jay K.

malc 11-18-2012 10:26 AM

Probably old hat by now but this piston has been with me 0n varios cars since 1986.
I did go to the original B/M for awhile but so many asked where the piston was I reinstalled it.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...on_Shifter.jpg

xxllmm4 11-22-2012 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got it drilled and "Taped" :)

CrashFarmer2 11-22-2012 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxllmm4 (Post 1614431)
Finally got it drilled and "Taped" :)

That's a cool shift knob! I like it. :)

MARTINSR 11-22-2012 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxllmm4 (Post 1611550)
I never had a column shifter car cool enough for a new knob but I think one of these would look cool if you want to make your own. I totally agree, all of the off the shelf ones you get seem to be really cheap looking. They have quite a few custom ones on ebay, spendy but they look good.

I love it.

Brian

MARTINSR 11-22-2012 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by malc (Post 1612685)
Probably old hat by now but this piston has been with me 0n varios cars since 1986.
I did go to the original B/M for awhile but so many asked where the piston was I reinstalled it.
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...on_Shifter.jpg

I have an NOS piston from a Honda C110 50 from the sixties that I polished and it's been sitting in my garage for years waiting for me to get the truck done. :(

Brian

MARTINSR 11-22-2012 12:48 PM

This is one in my brothers Roadster. It's a crappy photo, that is a real black widow incased in clear resin. I really dig the original one he had in the car which was an aluminum skull. It was before you could buy aluminum skull shift knobs at every Starbucks and Kragen auto parts store. He picked up an aluminum skull at a swap meet and the whole back of it was flat, so he had a guy build it up with weld and then he ground it round and had it polished. :)

Brian

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/a...s/DSCF0504.jpg


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.