Lets See Them Tool Boxes! - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 07:25 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

the box and almost all tools are craftsman. it's not the biggest set, but i think it's a good start...

i only paid a little over $65 for this box. was $120 before i took advantage of double discounts.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2004, 11:36 PM
Living At The Speed Of Life

Last photo:

All you guys have enormous space to work with,and youīre better equipped than the mechanic workshop in town.
In fact most workshops here are not big enough for two cars
at one time.
I got half a garage that has more stuff in it than the Smithsonian.
Thatīs why I do all my work outside and am lucky I can.
Itīs only now that new houses are being built with large
garages before, cars didīnt figure in the Spaniards life.
Only after the death of Franco and later entry into the European Community.
For a few weeks now it will rain but after that total sun ītill
November.Even then it will be sunny but chilly and there wonīt be as many hours of daylight.
After doodling around here a bit, itīs seven thirty in the
morning, I will go get started.

Last edited by malc; 02-21-2004 at 11:50 PM.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:52 PM

Last photo:

i think im gonna start investing into some tools now.. maybe next time the moms and pops go to sears.. ill tag along..

Nos
Old 02-22-2004, 05:52 AM
doesn't play well with others

Last photo:

Hey Nos, when I was still in college I was in a co-op program sponsored by Toyota. I used to work part time at a Toyota dealership while taking classes. I used to drive up to the shop, open my trunk, and pull out my tool box which sat on a workbench while I worked. It looked just like the one in 98rockets picture except it had only three drawers. I had that little box packed full and kept it in the trunk of my car. At the time it got the job done and was all that I needed. Even after I got my first rollaway box at work I still kept a small box in my trunk with basic stuff in it since I was so used to breaking down all the time. It felt strange when I finally started making enough money that I was able to drive better cars and didn't have to deal with the constant chatter of tools banging around in my truck as I was finally able to leave my tools at home. Everybody has to start somewhere.

Old 02-22-2004, 10:01 AM
Be the MIRACLE!

Last journal entry: Running boards (part DUEX)
Last photo:

98Rocket I started out with a tool box half that size twenty years ago.
NOS My oldest is a mehcanic and bought it for 400 bucks on sale at Sears. He bought a new one twice that size and my wife bought the black one from him for me to use hoping I'd clean up my garage. Says she can't find anything out there. (Snicker) That's the idea. Since it's (MY) space there's nothing she needs out there. Shhhh! quite , honey. I'll clean it up in the spring. I don't want the guys to hear you. It'd be embarrassing. Gotta go fellas. Spring is in 27 days.
Old 02-22-2004, 10:20 AM

You can go to rural-king and pick up a three-droor one for $25.Stack-on kind..i used it one year and it worked wonderful, even though it doesn't have the craftsman name on it.

-eric
Old 05-29-2005, 09:56 AM
Garage Filler

Last journal entry: I need more time!
Last photo:

Here's mine, nothing special. The Craftsman combo on the left was originally purchased new by my dad in 1967 when he opened his first gas station. About 7 years ago I removed all the paint and refinished the top and bottom. The box on the right is a recent purchase from Sears. Most of my tools now are Craftsman and they suit me well. My ex made off with my original collection of Snap-On and Mac.

At some point I want to get the combo sold at Sam's Club. It's a large top and bottom combo that I go by and stare at at couple times a month.

My dad passed away last year so I plan on keeping his old boxes until I pass them on to one of the grand kids.

Oops. I forgot to add. I also use the white and peach color cabinets for the larger stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boxright.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	5169   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxleft.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	5170  
Old 07-19-2006, 04:28 PM

My Tool Boxes

I've been building my tool set for quite a while. I've brought my Mac Tool boxes about 25 years ago and added another smaller chest to hold my overflow tools. It's mostly full of various Snap On, Mac, Craftsman, Gray, Proto, and other high quality tools I've collected over the years. I don't believe in Asian off shore cheap tools since they are dangerous to use when they break and can be really painful on the knuckles and skins, not counting the damage they will do to your fasteners. I've enclosed some recent photos of my tool boxes. Choyboy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN4673.JPG
Views:	151
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	13482   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN4677.JPG
Views:	131
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	13483  
Old 07-20-2006, 09:53 AM

Lets See Tool Boxes

Well I Tried To Install My 3 Bay Matco Box But They Say Its Too Big,so I Set Picture To 45% And They Said Its Still To Big,i Guess You Cant Install Kodak Easy Share Pictures On This Web Site.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:56 PM

Last photo:

I only have a smaller 5 drawer craftsman with the storage on the bottom. I bought it many years ago while going to tech school. It was over $300 is all I remember. It followed me to a few different jobs till I had a few jobs where I didn't need tools. Then it sat at home for awhile which was nice. Now I do bodywork for a living again and its at work. I repainted it once several years ago because people liked to set batterys on top of it, and all the paint was ate off the top of the box. It now has green overspray on it cause I used it at home for holding parts while painting. At the job I have now, people like to set thier crap on the top of my box too. I want to get a top box just for this reason. Someday if I ever get around to learning how to airbrush I would like to get a little bit bigger box and maybe paint it black and yellow with something to do with matt kenseth on it. Of course then it would stay at home. It would probably get ruined at work. I need either another set of tools for home, or a different job I think.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:43 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:

I had (key word) a Snap On KRL series roller cabinet, with a medium sized Westward top chest, 7 drawer side cabinet, and two Beach rolling benches with the lower parts full of tools bought at auctions or that I had pupose made for specific jobs. Mostly Westward tools, with the big ticket stuff (air tools, prybars, specialty equipment) in Snap On, Mac and OTC. Around $45,000 CAD in retail value.

Then my shop burned to the ground, and the insurance company raped me. Got zippo, and had to start all over from scratch, on my nickle. Why did I bother to pay for TOOL INSURANCE??! Then I found an older farmer who had a full set of tools (Snap On, Mac, ect, in Snap On boxes) for sale. Only SAE stuff, and missing some key stuff required for day in, day out service work, but a start. Appraised at $27,500 replacement value, I got 'em fo $10,000 CAD. That was two years ago. Now I have sold the Snap On boxes, and replaced them with much larger units from SPG International, who builds boxes for, among others, Westward and Crapsman. Picked up the rest of my tools here and there, and made what I had to make, bought what I needed when I needed it. New value is right around $52,000 CAD replacement, but they are priceless to me. Now I am starting a new job at a dealership shop, so most of my specialty tools can go home, and I can start building a "home set" of tools, and maybe make a few bucks on the side doing A/C work and carb rebuilding.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:54 PM

Last photo:

The big one I have had for about 10 years. The small one was my first. I have had it about 20 years. The blue one is just a dream tool box. I tell my wife that I need to add on to the garage so I can get that tool box. I can find pics of my box at the shop. I would have swore that I had some.

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	176 JPEG.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	13527   Click image for larger version

Name:	177 JPEG.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	13528   Click image for larger version

Name:	bigfb.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	13529  
Old 07-22-2006, 10:50 PM
Gearhead till I'm dead...

I'm an aircraft mechanic for a major airline out here in CA. I've done pretty well with craftsman boxes, one thing you gotta remember, all the toolbox has to do is hold the tools, the more you save on the box, the more you getta spend on tools and car goodies.

First, you're gonna need a good set of wrenches, a good socket set, a good set of pliers, and a good set of screwdrivers. These are the tools you will use the most, so you need them strong and well made. When you start getting into the specialty stuff you gotta look at what it's gonna be used for. For example, stubby wrenches, you'll never get enough torque on a stubby to break it. I got mine from harbor freight, they do exactly what I need em to do, and if I ever need to, it won't bother me one little bit to take them to a grinder and modify them.

Just remember, it's more fun to show off with your car than your toolbox.

P.S. A four dollar hammer from harbor freight works just as well as a fifty dollar hammer from snap on...
Old 07-23-2006, 05:34 PM

Last journal entry: Engine compartment
Last photo:

Costco Special

Stainless Steel less than $700, lots of room to grow.
Jim
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC02271.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	13581  
Old 07-26-2006, 06:27 PM

Let's see those tool boxes

I've seen those stainless steel tool boxes sold by Costco. While the price is low and the box is huge, I'm not too impressed by the workmanship and the fact is it's made of stainless steel. The casters that comes with the low price boxes are not too sturdy like the higher end ones and can develop flat spots when loaded with tools and sitting in one location too long. My personal choice of colour has always been a red tool box and not one of those flashy neon or dark colour. I've worked in a large municipal heavy duty shop for almost 30 years and the only tool boxes that always gets the double take and the long looks from visitors and crews walking by are the big red fancy boxes made by either Snap on or Mac Tools. It's no difference that fancy cars parked or driven by will always attract the looks and stares from people. They recognized quality when they see it and know it's expensive. I know the prices for these tool truck type boxes are out of this world, but the trade in or resale value is still there long after the cheaper boxes are gone. I believe a used or repo high quality tool box is within range for most people who don't want to spend their life saving for it. A domestic car vs a Japanese import is a good example on how a good investment will hold on to their value after many years due to the manufacturing and sale price of the product. At some time, a mechanic will trade in his old Craftsman, Beach, Waterloo, Kennedy, or other no name brand for a high end tool box because he can now afford it and knows he's probably buying the last tool box in his career. Of all the mechanics I've known, I've never seen anyone with a Snap On or Mac Tool box trade down to a lesser known type (unless of course the ex-wife took it in the settlement and have to start from scratch again.) Buy the best you can afford and you won't regret it. I know some guys will whine about spending thousands on a good tool box vs a lower quality one that is more affordable. But my money is on these same guys will spend thousands more for a engagement ring on their girl because they want to impress her. A good diamond is like a good tool box, you pay for quality and not size (remember the diamond rules of the 4 "C's" of cut, color, carat, and clarity). I still remember Snap On Tools famous logo many years back "Good tools aren't expensive, they're priceless".

Last edited by choyboy; 07-26-2006 at 06:38 PM.

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.