Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Lets See Them Tool Boxes!
View Single Post
Old 07-20-2006, 09:43 PM
Licenced Automotive Technician

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I had (key word) a Snap On KRL series roller cabinet, with a medium sized Westward top chest, 7 drawer side cabinet, and two Beach rolling benches with the lower parts full of tools bought at auctions or that I had pupose made for specific jobs. Mostly Westward tools, with the big ticket stuff (air tools, prybars, specialty equipment) in Snap On, Mac and OTC. Around $45,000 CAD in retail value.

Then my shop burned to the ground, and the insurance company raped me. Got zippo, and had to start all over from scratch, on my nickle. Why did I bother to pay for TOOL INSURANCE??! Then I found an older farmer who had a full set of tools (Snap On, Mac, ect, in Snap On boxes) for sale. Only SAE stuff, and missing some key stuff required for day in, day out service work, but a start. Appraised at $27,500 replacement value, I got 'em fo $10,000 CAD. That was two years ago. Now I have sold the Snap On boxes, and replaced them with much larger units from SPG International, who builds boxes for, among others, Westward and Crapsman. Picked up the rest of my tools here and there, and made what I had to make, bought what I needed when I needed it. New value is right around $52,000 CAD replacement, but they are priceless to me. Now I am starting a new job at a dealership shop, so most of my specialty tools can go home, and I can start building a "home set" of tools, and maybe make a few bucks on the side doing A/C work and carb rebuilding.