Lets see your bike projects... - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2003, 10:51 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Lets see your bike projects...

I'm currently working on a bike project that started when my buddy Mikey and I dragged a dead motorcycle over here so he could rob some parts off it. It is a '75 Kawasaki H-1 (Mach 3), a 3-cylinder 2-stroke street bike.

This thing was dead when I got it, and Mikey figured after he robbed it of the taillight and turn signals, that I would junk it. I got it running instead. The heads came off, and I beat on the frozen pistons with a chunk of hardwood dowel and a 5# hammer until it was freed up and would turn over. I also had to unstick a choke valve from one carb, the choke cable, the clutch cable, and I replaced the upper throttle cable and twistgrip with Honda parts from the boneyard because of corrosion damage. I even had to free up the chain and JB Weld the rear brake linings back on the backing plates, the white corrosion had popped them off.

Since getting it running, I have raked the neck to 45 degrees to complement the 6"-over forks that were on it when I got it. I also lowered the front fender closer to the tire, dropped the rear suspension down, modified the kickstand to work better, reworked the rear of the frame, and built a new rear fender/seatpan from some junk Model A steel fenders that were too badly cracked to repair.

I just finished up a fibreglass seatpan, the new forward foot controls/pegs, and spent the better part of today stripping it back down for frame paint. I am going to shoot the majority of the bike in the PlastiCote Anodizit blue, as seen on the rear brake backing plate.

Who else is working on a 2-wheeled 'hotrod'? Post some pics if you have them...

Doc

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 11:46 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

nice lookin' little bike.
if i had a cam i would show you all of the jap bikes that we have been though. we are always fixin' up an old 70's jap bike. we buy them cheap, fix them up, wait till someone comes over and falls in love with it, and then buy another.
they are too easy to work on and hardly ever have anything serious wrong with them.
we are currently fixing up a 1975 kawisaki 175, that we bought for $200 and it basicly just needs carb work and a rear tire.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:45 AM
Anything with a throttle

Last photo:

<---....My project is done!!!!!
I do have a 73 Kawasaki Z1-900 and a 76 CB750F SS I might work on next!!!!

BTW I first rode my dad's 72 KAWA H-2 2-stroke triple 750 when I was 14....That thing still scares me.....
He won't let me touch it. It just sits in the shed....Perfect condition with 4,000 miles on it.....
Old 09-02-2003, 08:34 PM

Last photo:

I wish I had a picture of my brothers H-1 hes going the opposite route and turning it into a cafe racer with vf500 front & rear wheels and front forks.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:19 AM
Fantastically cannibalistic!

Last photo:

Can anyone give me a good reason why this post is in the dump?

DrChop, cool scoot, if you need anything feel free to ask I have a garage full of parts from micelaneoius bikes and chops, I have 5 or 6 wheels, sissy bars, parts peices, handlebars you name it I probably have it, frames.

Those forward controls look groovey, how did you set those up? They solid mount or do they have an internal bearing? I havn't decided if I'm going to make my own or go with a disc rear brake and swap sides (its a bastard bike triumph brakes are on the left shift on right) If I go with a drum rear I'll probably make my own from aluminum at the shop.

I think I have some pictures in my old album, I'm not sure if I took them out or not, I'm at work now so I'll check at the hacienda later and post some before pictures.

HK

Last edited by Halloweenking; 09-04-2003 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:46 AM
Galaxie Man

Last photo:

I am making a cafe' racer from a 1981 GS 450 EX.

Before:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ste...0E.jpg&.view=t

Current:
http://f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ste...er.jpg&.view=t
Old 09-03-2003, 10:24 PM
Where's my Sawzall?

Last wiki edit: Window removal and installation
Last journal entry: More progress...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Because I put this post here...

it seemed more than just a little off-topic...

I pretty much have all the parts I need to get the bike done, just blowing it all apart for the paint and some bodyworking on the tank and rear fender.

Look at the controls again. The peg itself is a section of 1.25" x .250 wall DOM tubing about 10" long for each side. Said tubing slides onto a .750 round bar 30" long, which is welded into holes drilled thru the front lower motor mount brackets on the frame. My round bar stock was rusty/mill scaled, and I ended up hand-filing it until the heavywall tubing would slide on and rotate freely. The ends are drilled/tapped 5/16 NC threads, and small washers and bolts retain them yet allow for the peg rotation. I have drilled the tubing for grease zerks, and will use a thin cutoff wheel to cut grease distribution slots into the bar stock so the pegs will not rust up. The levers are .250" flat stock and drilled for looks/weight savings, the small (.500") round pegs are sections from an old jack handle. For the shifter I used an old chromed shock rod with small end tabs welded on to make up the short linkage piece. The brake linkage is small tractor steering rod ends and 3/8" round rod.

Definitely homebrew but works nice and looks pretty good now that it's in paint.

I shot the rest of the frame up last night, here's some more pics...

Doc
Old 09-03-2003, 10:50 PM

Last journal entry: better comparison before and after shots
Last photo:

Re: Because I put this post here...

Quote:
Originally posted by DrChop
it seemed more than just a little off-topic...
Doc
Hey Doc, we put garbage in the dump. not ****** cool stuff.

can something be moved out of the dump?
Old 09-04-2003, 07:31 AM
A Half Crippled Old SOB....

Last wiki edit: GM RPO build codes Last photo:
Location: Cahokia,IL..... Donate Blood Products & Sign your DONORS CARD
Wiki Edits: 5

HEY DOC,, it seems you can make gold out of tin, I have looked at your site many times & wished I had the skill you have in your pinky when it comes to body mods. GREATTTTTTTTTTTT WORK is all I can say, you definitely have the skill (or the guts) to do stuff that the average person wouldnt try. Kepp up the great work........joe
Old 09-04-2003, 07:43 AM
Galaxie Man

Last photo:

DOC,
Seems to be coming along well.
Can't beleive how many projects you got going.
I only have the house, my cafe racer, and the 69XL.
Keep the pictures coming.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:13 PM

Last photo:

Here's my 70 Tiger. Its all apart now with cause I had the frame powder coated. I got rid of the Zenor Diode and the Rectifier and replaced them with a regulator. I also dumped the point ignition for a magnetic breakerless system. Before it goes back together its gonna get some nasty cams and maybe some head work...we'll see

Why can't I get the picture to work??
Old 09-04-2003, 01:17 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

check out my 41 scout before i took it all apart and sandblasted the frame in the old photo album. getting some welds redone and holes redrilled for new bushings in the springer front end right now, which i will have to trade out a panel change in a house. then off to the powder coater soon as i decide on a color, or just go with black and red like it was. late..

http://hotrodders.com/cgibin/album/a...73/MVC225S.JPG

Last edited by bullheimer; 09-04-2003 at 01:23 PM.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Skateboard On Steroids

Last photo:

Way cool Chop! I love those old Kawi 2 stroke triples, absolute rockets! Turning one into a custom will definitely be unique, and it looks like you're doing a tastefull job of it.

I would LOVE to find an old Suzuki GT750 and turn it into a custom crotch rocket. Such a unique engine (water cooled 2 stroke triple) I used to own one and loved it. I keep my eyes peeled for a good deal on one, but with the other projects filling my shop I'm not sure when I could get to it!
Old 09-04-2003, 03:57 PM

Last photo:

The Scout is gorgeous, my grandpa had a scout and my dad had a warrior....I get stuck with hondas and triumphs
Old 09-06-2003, 08:41 PM
Tazz

Last photo:

Chopped Kaw bug sprayer

Different strokes man!! Those old bug sprayers were screamers. I chopped a 73 Z1E 900, bored to 1100cc and welded the cranks together, running a mallery distributor an runing a good year slick. Have fun it looks great.

Todd

Rat Rods Rule!

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.