Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - LETS talk PANEL ADHESIVE
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 05:31 AM
MentalMuffinMan

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

LETS talk PANEL ADHESIVE

Hello. This is truthfully going to somewhat off the wall for what the stuff is normally used for...
here's the scoop,
I'm finally going to get my SS back on the road..
I like my music and I like full sound...
I'll be adding a sub ,but I also hate the rattles it causes, and the boom boom boom louder outside the car than inside..
I'm not into the boom like those into rap music are.. but I like my lower bass.. not so loud the world can hear it but.. there..
so the 1978-88 g.m. g-bodies (monty carlo and clones) have a shelf behind the rear seat, just like the a.bodies before them..
my plan is to make a remove able panel that close off the shelf area from the trunk, so the rear speakers are closed off from the trunk area..
was thinking panel adhesive to mount the latches or piano hinge(s) to do this...
I could just weld in whatever but the body in this car is so,so clean..
I'm try'n to not mod it in any way that can't be undone and/or cause rust.. and the underside of the area I'd weld to is hard to get to ,to recoat with primer/etc to protect from the rust monster..

as anyone thats ever owned a g-body knows the factory speaker locations/sizes blow 3.5" dash , 4x10 rear deck..
the panel will also keep the eyeballs at bay at shows.. so the gear isn't screaming "steal me"

now to the question.. with the adhisive hold a somewhat light panel with all that viberation the box would be subject to.. I'd think so.. as most home speaker cab's are pressed/glued sheet
the panel will mostlikely be alum reinforced fiberglass.. and rear seat foam with holes,, as no ones sat in the seat since new..lol..
the hacked seat will be a replacement also. as the one in car is spotless..

ha sorry for the book.. guess the question is will it hold or not..
thanks..

Last edited by gearheadslife; 01-24-2013 at 05:45 AM.