Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Letting my son drive the Gran Sport.
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2013, 10:09 AM
Faith - Respect - Trust

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Yes Brian, the memories your son has of that day in the parking lot will be etched in his mind forever. I remember my son and what he tells me now is one of his favorite memories of car moments we shared and I don't know if I ever told this story on the Forum before or not but here goes.

I was working on the front brakes on a car I gave my son for Christmas 5 months earlier, the car was pulling hard to the left and found that a caliper was sticking...I replaced the front rotors, calipers, pads and packed the front wheel bearings on his 79 Pontiac Lemans 305 4 bbl. He was with me the whole time and I got him involved in the repair and the bleeding of the brakes. So now it's time for a test drive and being that it was a Sunday morning, not much traffic on the road, I'm at a red light and for some unknown reason I thought it would be nice to do a burnout...so I did and we did manage to make quite a bit of smoke. My son looks back and tells me that there is a cop right behind us. I told my son to not say a word and let me do all the talking and we stopped for another red light...I did another burn out with the cop right behind me and then I turned into my shop's parking lot. The red lights went on and I opened my window. Before the cop could say anything I told him that I knew he was behind me (which was true) and because one of the front calipers was sticking my son and I where solving a front brake locking up issue and where working on the brakes so that in the future, (which was true) when he drove it the car would be safe for him (which was true). I went on to tell the officer that the reason I had my son with me was so that he could learn how things work on a car and perhaps may not need to rely on a repair shop for everything in the future (which was also true).

The officer looked at both my son's and my hands, saw that they where dirty, turned to my son and said "do you know how lucky you are young man? You have a father that is willing to spend the time to make sure that your safe on the road", and went on and on about how lucky my son was and thanked me for being a good father.

Here we are some 14 or 15 years later and very often when I speak to my son this event comes up, among others, but for some reason this is one that I don't think he'll ever forget....I know I won't....LOL.

Ray
The Following User Says Thank You to 69 widetrack For This Useful Post:
John long (03-10-2013)