"LETTING OTHERS DO THE WORK FOR YOU" - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2011, 08:57 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

"LETTING OTHERS DO THE WORK FOR YOU"

I HAD AN A.S.E. MECHANIC PUT MY NEW CAM IN MY VAN A MONTH AGO. BUT JUST TODAY AFTER DOING THE OIL CHANGE, I FOUND BRASS OR BRONZE SHAVINGS IN THE OIL. I KNOW I BOUGHT A CAM, LIFTER'S, LUBE, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT CAM BEARINGS IN SUCH, TO HAVE THE CAM PROPERLY INSTALLED. I LOOKED AT THE RECEIPTS AND NO MENTION OF CAM BEARINGS AND SUCH! HEY GUYS HELP ME, I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHECK THAT STUFF LIKE PULLIN, THE CAM OUT OR LOOKING UNDER THE INTAKE FOR DAMAGE OR EVEN PULLING THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT TO CHECK THE SHAFT AND GEAR.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 10:52 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

First of all, lose the caps.

If all you had done was a cam install, chances are the cam bearings didn't get changed, they don't always need replacement. I would venture the shavings you found were from the distributor gear.

Moving this to basics.

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 08-27-2011, 10:55 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIAMBU
I HAD AN A.S.E. MECHANIC PUT MY NEW CAM IN MY VAN A MONTH AGO. BUT JUST TODAY AFTER DOING THE OIL CHANGE, I FOUND BRASS OR BRONZE SHAVINGS IN THE OIL. I KNOW I BOUGHT A CAM, LIFTER'S, LUBE, BUT I DIDN'T KNOW ABOUT CAM BEARINGS IN SUCH, TO HAVE THE CAM PROPERLY INSTALLED. I LOOKED AT THE RECEIPTS AND NO MENTION OF CAM BEARINGS AND SUCH! HEY GUYS HELP ME, I DONT KNOW HOW TO CHECK THAT STUFF LIKE PULLIN, THE CAM OUT OR LOOKING UNDER THE INTAKE FOR DAMAGE OR EVEN PULLING THE DISTRIBUTOR OUT TO CHECK THE SHAFT AND GEAR.
You don't need to type in all caps.

Bronze could come from a bronze distributor gear, sometimes used w/roller cams or cams made from steel. Unneeded when using a normal iron flat tappet-type cam, or w/many street hydraulic roller cams.

Otherwise what you might be seeing is iron or aluminum w/oil on it- which looks "bronze" until the oil is removed.

The cam and lifters need to be broken in to each other by running the engine at varying RPM, not lower than 2000 RPM (NO idling!) for at least 15-20 minutes, to avoid immediate failure of the lifters and cam lobes. Was a proper break-in done?

There should have been break in lube applied to the lifters and lobes and an oil additive such as ZDDPlus added to the motor oil to facilitate a proper break in as well.

If the cam lobes and lifters are wearing away, the engine will soon develop a miss, will start running poorly and start to have a noisy valve train that will not adjust out.
Old 08-27-2011, 11:54 PM

Bronze shavings?

A shop did the work, i only hope they did it right. ill find out on monday! And i took a magnet to the shavings and they didnt stick, so there not magnetic.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:14 AM

Bronze shavings?2

I was using synthetic oil already, and the shop that put the cam and lifter's in, followed suit. Also i have in a Proform distributor installed. And on the box it says that the gear on the end is hardend. why are there metal shavings???
Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 AM

Last photo:

Are you experiencing any drivabilty problems, ticking, knocking, since the cam was installed?

Why did you have the cam changed?

What type of cam did you have installed?
Old 08-28-2011, 06:53 AM

"My van and cam story"

I had the engine rebuit in 07' but didnt put a good cam in that i wanted! So, the cam i put in is a PBR i guess by Comp, a .275/.278 (.050@) .435/.455 cam. it might seem a little big, but i asked a machinist from my local Napa, what type a cam i could use. BUT he told me about this cam that i suspect to be in a 350/350hp. engine! Well, i dont know what lunging is, but when im driving her, and if i step in it, it lunges forward, but yet it feels like something is holding it back, like i need a shift kit and/or a stall converter! i have headers, dual exhaust, H.E.I., a performer air gap intake(idle-5500), and the cam. Now i know that the cam I have has a higher RPM start than idle but i dont know where. But this lunging is only i guess when the secondaries kick in. i dont stay in very long at all because it doest feel right. But besides that, it feels like it has more power, and drinks a little more gas.LOL! but i plan to change out the jets to something smaller, out of my Edelbrock Thunder Series 1805 (650 cfm manual chock, four barrel).
Old 08-28-2011, 01:57 PM

"The van and cam story" 2

Son of a gun! next time look in the oil drain pan before you use it! My roommate was using it before me, and put drill shavings in there. tinkering around with some stuff with his boat motor. LOL! I AM HAPPY!!! but i still think i need a stall converter and a shift kit for the tranny. What do you think guys???
Old 08-30-2011, 05:17 PM

Last photo:

a stall converter ??
Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by user151
a stall converter ??
I think that's when you put bunk beds in a stable.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:00 PM

cam wear!! and distrbutor wear!!!!

I would take it back to the shop that did the work and let them know what you found. then ask if they would pull the distributor and check for wear on both the cam drive gear and distributor more than likely you will find some signs or wear

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.